Is this possible with vibrato?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
Oberlai

Is this possible with vibrato?

Post by Oberlai »

Hi all! I'm a noob with sunvox, been fiddling with the vibrato module, and i got a couple of noob questions:

1. The first thing I notice is that it doesn't have a delay option/function (before vibrato kicks in) and a ramp-up. If you're not sure what I mean, check out Serum's LFO in a vid/pic. They are very useful for me, but surprisingly few VSTs have these 2 simple functions in their LFO. Anyway, so I want to try and recreate this type of vibrato in sunvox. Again: delay (before vibrato kicks in), ramp-up, then full vibrato. And ofc I want full control over delay time and ramp-up time. I guess I'm supposed to use other modulation sources in sunvox, still need to learn how.

2. Secondly, what I notice with the vibrato module is that it doesn't reset phase at each note (retrig). You will know what I mean if you turn amplitude to max, and frequency to 20-25. Each note you hit will start off differently because the vibrato's internal LFO doesn't reset on note. I would like to know if there's a way to make each note start off the same (retrig).

How do I solve 1 and 2? Is it possible? Many thanks in advance!

Edit: Pressing the "?" help in the vibrato module, it says "The incoming notes (Note ON) reset the LFO phase to "Set phase" value. This seems incorrect. Regardless of what the "Set phase" value is, the internal LFO does not reset on incoming notes, it just keeps going regardless. Not that this function equals retrig on/off, of course, but "Set phase" seems to do nothing at all right now. So, for that help text to be correct, either the module needs to retrigger by default (which it does not) OR a new retrig option (this option is very useful and very common :)
Last edited by Oberlai on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saltbearer

Re: Is this possible with vibrato?

Post by Saltbearer »

The Sampler module has a built-in vibrato function that allows a bit of attack time and depth. It sounds smooth on simple and complex waves.

You can also embed a Vibrato module inside the Sampler and give it a custom amplitude envelope. The automation doesn't sound smooth on simple waves, but it's less noticeable on complex ones. (Use spare, unactivated Eff.ctl slots to adjust the module's other parameters.)

Similarly, you can automate the amplitude on an external Vibrato module with a signal and a Sound2Ctl.

A MultiSynth module can be used to send note triggers directly into the Vibrato module, resetting the phase each time.

[EDIT: Forgot the EE column vibrato effect! As long as you don't need to apply vibrato after other effects, it usually sounds pretty smooth.]

Demonstrations:
Attachments
vib EE.sunvox
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
viberbo.sunvox
(61.62 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Oberlai

Post by Oberlai »

Thank you for your insight, Saltbearer! Didn't know about effects inside the sampler, that's really handy actually. Yeah that ramp-up had some artifacts, i'll give the sound2ctl method a go :)
Rondobotic

Post by Rondobotic »

Also for a similar effect I have used an LFO with a the tone generator turned on then used the [modulator] module, set to phase, to modulate the synth by the LFO.

you can set the rate on the LFO very slow and use an [amplifier] module between it and the [modulator] to control your depth.

you can then set up an envelope, using a delay module, generators and sound to control modules, to delay and ramp the depth.

If you use a meta module to package up the modules above it becomes quite neat and so far i have not noticed any artefacts.

I'll try to get an example up for you.
Rondobotic

Post by Rondobotic »

Actually just tried it, haven't done so in a while, and it sounded awful, like there was a lot of aliasing.

hmm I will need to look into it more.
Oberlai

Post by Oberlai »

Hi all, thought I would ask this question once again in case someone has more insight to share :) I will try to formulate my challenge with fewer words:
I want a vibrato for, say, Generator. But, I want to delay the vibrato with 2 seconds. Also - I don't want full vibrato immediately, no, I want a slow ramp-up of the vibrato, so the vibrato starts barely noticeable - then over a few secs reaches full amplitude. I want to control 2 parameters that do not currently exist in the Vibrato module. Delay and ramp-up. Is it possible to control this with something else? Thanks for any ideas :)
DaedalusYoung

Post by DaedalusYoung »

You can do it 'manually' with effect 04.

Set EE to 04, then XX is the frequency of the vibrato, where 20 is once per line, and YY is the amplitude, where 40 is one semitone.
Attachments
Vibrato effect .sunvox
(2.28 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Oberlai

Post by Oberlai »

Thank you DaedalusYoung, will have a look.