Interpolate velocity - popping/stepping?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
vrav

Interpolate velocity - popping/stepping?

Post by vrav »

Hi, I searched around and couldn't find anything about this. Maybe it's not a bug.

When I interpolate velocity for a basic generator, and play it back, there is audible popping for each velocity step. Is this normal? What can be done to make the transition smooth?

I also get a pop when the pattern returns to the top to loop through. I tried adjusting the audio settings in preferences to no avail. Also tried adjusting attack/release. Sound drivers...? Sorry if this problem is not related to SunVox, or if this is simply how it's supposed to sound.

I'm very new to audio, so thank you for your patience.

Edit: I tested on iOS too and the same thing happens. For reference my other platform is Windows 10.
Saltbearer

Re: Interpolate velocity - popping/stepping?

Post by Saltbearer »

Generally, instantaneous changes to a signal will create pops. Velocity interpolation sounds smoother on the Analog Generator, if you're not using the Generator for FM.
vrav

Post by vrav »

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you! And yes, you're right about the analog generator, thanks!
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

Np! Just remembered, if you want extra-smooth volume changes on a whole instrument, the Filter Pro has a fine volume controller as its main volume, affected by its Response rate.
iaon

Post by iaon »

vrav wrote: What can be done to make the transition smooth?
There's also pattern effect 0A: slide velocity up/down (XX = up speed, YY = down speed)
VelocitySlideXmpl.sunvox
(1.31 KiB) Downloaded 133 times