Logic, Random and Scales???

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
GENNA

Logic, Random and Scales???

Post by GENNA »

A few perhaps strange questions, and I apologize if I have missed the information I'm looking for:

1. Is there any way to perform logic functions in SunVox?

2. How often/when are the random functions in SunVox re-seeded?

3. Is there any way to quantize a group of notes to a particular scale?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some insight.

Cheers!
John
SawZer

Re: Logic, Random and Scales???

Post by SawZer »

You can sort of make logic gates with DC signals. Use the modulator set to Type 1 for an AND gate. Regular amplifier for OR. How to invert the signals though, I'd have to give it more thought.
queries

Post by queries »

Here's a collection of scale quantizing metamodules: https://github.com/metrasynth/gallery/t ... ter/scales

Here's the documentation and source code: https://github.com/metrasynth/gallery/b ... ator.ipynb

I'm the author/maintainer of all the metrasynth repos, so let me know if you find any technical errors and I'll correct them.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

1. Is there any way to perform logic functions in SunVox?
AND: Modulator with type=0 - amplitude modulation or just multiplication.
OR: Just connect any number of signals to some effect-module (Amplifier, for example).
NOT: Amplifier with DC Offset=-128, Inverse=1 (ON).
1: Amplifier with DC Offset=128.
0: No signal.

2. How often/when are the random functions in SunVox re-seeded?
At the initialization stage of the project or module (load/create).

3. Is there any way to quantize a group of notes to a particular scale?
No direct way yet. Please see the way described above
GENNA

Post by GENNA »

Thank you, everyone, for the replies. The information on how to perform logic and the re-seeding question is greatly helpful.

queries, I will check out your scaling modules and let you know if I have any problems.

Thanks again!

John
stm606

Post by stm606 »

Thanks Queries and NightRadio - I was wondering how to achieve logic.
Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

If you interested in implementing logic for your modules, you can take a step further. Using each steps of the dc offset to do “integer” calculations to reduce the module complexity when involved adder and decoders:

Addition: dc a + dc b
Subtraction: dc a + inv(dc b)
Multiplication: AmModulator[dc a, dc b * 128]
Division: hmmm... I am still finding a good way to do it in single cycle. Updated: the solution

And don’t forget to make use of the distortion module, it detects negative signal and regulate to -128 dc offset precisely, which is useful for logic that needs a conditional jump, act as a buffer, or remove confusion due to generators cannot completely remove dc offsets from an amp.
Last edited by Logickin λ on Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sad0nion

Post by Sad0nion »

I have been playing around with the compresser and its side chain input to make a random drumloop. Bby switching the side chain input randomly in the pattern with the "write random xx..yy to ctl" it creates a random sequence. Or at least thats how I understand random. I dont understand the "AND, OR, NOT" but I'd like to think that this is what I use to make the loop :)

Does anyone have any .sunvox files that shows it in action? I, too, am wondering how to achieve logic!
Thanks
AdrianGroty

Post by AdrianGroty »

I am not the most qualified to be explaining this, but as a layman I think I can help put it in layman's terms:

Logic is achieved through logic gates (and, or, not) which output either a 1 or a 0 in response to conditions being met by their inputs. You can think of a gate like a simple yes/no question about the inputs, and the gate's output of 1 or 0 as an answer of yes or no, respectively.

AND gates output 1 only when 1 is received at two inputs, otherwise 0. ("Both a AND b?")

OR gates output 1 when 1 is received at any input, 0 only with no input. ("Either a OR b?")

NOT gates output 1 when receiving 0, output 0 when receiving 1 ("NOT a or b?")

Hopefully that's useful.

P.S. that's a clever use of the compressor. Never thought to use the sidechain selector as a mute like that. Here's a favorite of mine: you can use multisynths to set probability independently of the patterns and get around the limitations on stacking random/probabilistic pattern commands. With curve 2 split min/max right down the middle and "ignore notes with 0 velocity" turned on, weight the "velocity" and "random velocity" ctls against each other to increase or decrease probability.
Sad0nion

Post by Sad0nion »

Ok thank you. I am trying to get a little deeper understanding of modules because I feel like I use them in a very primitive way.
Hmm could you maybe share a file with the multisynth technique? I think Ii get it but it just plays the note in various random velocities?
AdrianGroty

Post by AdrianGroty »

Sad0nion wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:28 pm it just plays the note in various random velocities?
Sort of. The idea is to limit the possible velocities to either 0 (which is ignored) or 256, all or nothing, no in-between. This acts as a threshold; the 256s are passed along the chain, and the 0s are not.

Here's an example. The two patterns are functionally identical, but the first sets probability with pattern effect 20, while the second sets the same probabilities (assuming my math is correct) from the multisynths via the relative positions of the "velocity", and "random velocity" ctls. Note that the option "ignore notes with 0 velocity" must be turned on, and note the shape of curve 2.

https://www.mediafire.com/download/xhca8zf06rvugl6
Sad0nion

Post by Sad0nion »

Ah okay- it makes sense now. Very clever way of doing that!