SunVox and Pro Tools MIDI Beat Clock Start/Stop

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
ArtyMorty

SunVox and Pro Tools MIDI Beat Clock Start/Stop

Post by ArtyMorty »

Hello.

I started using SunVox this year. Its a Fantastic program but I have a question regarding Start/Stop messages to SunVox sent from Pro Tools. I'm using SunVox 1.9.1 on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Noobs and a Cirrus Logic Audio Card. I have a MIO iConnectivity MIDI I/O connected to one of the USB ports on the Pi and selected it in SunVox / Preferences / MIDI / MIDI Controller 1 / CH (Any). I use Pro Tools as my main DAW and have an AXIOM 25 MIDI keyboard connected via USB to my MAC PRO. I plugged a MIDI cable from the MIDI OUT of the AXIOM 25 to the MIDI IN of the MIO iConnectivity. In Pro Tools I have the AXIOM 25 selected for "Midi Beat Clock" - which sends Start/Stop and Clock. The Cirrus Logic Audio card is selected in SunVox and connected SPDIF to Pro Tools for audio.

When I play the keys on the AXIOM 25, the module(S) that I have selected in SunVox respond and I hear everything in Pro Tools, but if I press Play in Pro Tools my SunVox patterns do not respond to Start/Stop. I can see the green light blinking in the Module section when playing the AXIOM keys and also when I press Play in Pro Tools. I read the SunVox manual but did not see anything about how to make the patterns play from MIDI Start/Stop messages.

I guess my confusion here is that 1.9.1 can receive Start/Stop messages but I'm not sure why the Timeline / Patterns do not play when I send Start/Stop messages.

How do I trigger the Patterns to start playing with Start/Stop MIDI messages and is it supposed to happen automatically after assigning the midi device in SunVox Preferences?

Thanks.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: SunVox and Pro Tools MIDI Beat Clock Start/Stop

Post by NightRadio »

It is a good question. Actually the SunVox can understand the standard STOP and PLAY MIDI commands. But for some reason not always work :)
Let's try to find the answer.
Please try to capture the PLAY or STOP command in SunVox. Go to the properties of any controller, activate MIDI Learn (press the "MIDI IN ...") and then press the PLAY in Pro Tools. I wonder what will be the reaction of SunVox.
ArtyMorty

Post by ArtyMorty »

Hi.

Thank you for responding :)
I tried what you said but nothing happened. I clicked on "Midi In", then it read: "Waiting for MIDI Evt". I pressed Play in Pro Tools but the display stayed with "Waiting for MIDI Evt".
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Ok, thank you!
Please now do the following:
1) download this version of SunVox for RPi: http://warmplace.ru/temp/sunvox.zip
2) open this version of SunVox from Terminal;
3) try to press some MIDI key - you will see the codes of incoming MIDI messages in the Terminal window; something like 07 18 07 19 ....
4) now press PLAY and STOP in Pro Tools and tell me the codes for these buttons (from the Terminal).
ArtyMorty

Post by ArtyMorty »

Ok, I pressed "play" then immediately pressed "stop"

f2 00 00
fa
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
f8
fc
f2 00 00
f8
f8

:)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Thank you!
Now i see the bug in SunVox :) Will be fixed soon!
ArtyMorty

Post by ArtyMorty »

I'm glad to have helped and look forward to the fix.

Thank you very much.