SunVox Raspberry Pi auto start

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
acombs1793

SunVox Raspberry Pi auto start

Post by acombs1793 »

Hello,

Im glad I found this forum because im having trouble figuring out something about SunVoX and the Raspberry Pi2. How can I make SunVox auto boot instead of having to go into Raspbian and clicking the icon. I want to power on my pi and it boot straight into SunVox. Does anyone have a step by step guide for making this happen? Is this efficient or should I just keep going into raspbian? I really appreciate any help.

Thanks
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: SunVox Raspberry Pi auto start

Post by NightRadio »

I don't know the exact instructions, but i believe you can find the answer on any Linux-related forums :)
You just need to auto-open the SunVox right after the window manager initialization.
acombs1793

Post by acombs1793 »

Okay thanks I ll take a look.
cube48

Post by cube48 »

There is a lot of possibilities to launch an app on boot in Linux.

With MoonBox I've created a launch script on the RPi desktop (so it's at hand in case it doesn't launch automatically).

Code: Select all

touch ~/Desktop/run_sunvox.sh
Then you have to edit that file ...

nano ~/Desktop/run_sunvox.sh
... and insert the launch command.

#!/bin/sh
~/Apps/sunvox/sunvox/raspberry_pi/./sunvox &
Change the path to the RPi binary accordingly to your system. Ampersand at the end of the line will run Sunvox in an independent shell/thread so if you run your script manually from the CLI it should not be dependent on initiating terminal window/shell which can be closed freely.

Then you have to make it executable.

chmod 755 ~/Desktop/run_sunvox.sh
After that you can edit your .profile file. This file is executing certain stuff after your user gets logged in.

nano ~/.profile
... and add your launching script at the very end of the file.

~/Desktop/run_sunvox.sh
Of course you have to save the files when editing in nano by Ctrl+O or simply Ctrl+X (leaving the editor) and nano will ask you to save the file.

After that your RPi should boot into X-Window system (if you configured it like that) and launch the script in your .profile which in turn starts the Sunvox. Sunvox can run even without X-Windows but than you have no useful control over it without the UI.

I just wrote this down off the top of my head so there might be some deviations in the commands but it should give you the idea ;-)

Feel free to ask for additional details.
acombs1793

Post by acombs1793 »

Wow. I really appreciate it. I thought I was going to have to wait a year for a response lol. Im going to dive into this weekend. Cant wait. Ive been waiting for more of an accessible way to use the pi with "synths" Im glad I found your write up about the MoonBox. One quick question. I dont have the Hifi-berry atm, need to save a little but would you recommend using the IQAudio Raspbian image even though I dont have the DAC or should I just keep a standard RPI approved Raspbian?
cube48

Post by cube48 »

IQAudio's image of Raspbian should work even without the DAC. You get the JACK pre-installed with it. But the sound quality of RPi was quite poor in my case. A lot of noise from CPU and big latency.
acombs1793

Post by acombs1793 »

Are you saying you had big latency before the HiFi Berry or are you saying after everything was finished? Im honestly probably not going to go the super nice route you took, I took a mini apk usb midi controller and chopped it up into something a little more aesthetically pleasing heres a
link
https://goo.gl/photos/QgosWQyfBsPiMseY7

Theres a space behind the unit were a pi can fit perfectly along with a phone bank that can run the pi for about 4 hours.
cube48

Post by cube48 »

Wow, that looks really cool!

Yes, the latency was higher without the PiDAC+ (not a HiFi Berry but similar).