Are the basic waveforms in Generator and Analog Generator just samples?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
nopcorp

Are the basic waveforms in Generator and Analog Generator just samples?

Post by nopcorp »

Hi guys. This might be a naive question, but are the generaror and analog generator modules just spitting out small samples of saw, sin, noise etc? A friend told me after I showed him Sunvox, said so.

I thought the generator and analog generator module was some sort of physical modeling.

The reason I ask, is I have been purposely avoiding using the Sampler module, cause I wanted to just use the "pure" synthesis sounds. But now I don't understand Sunvox.

Sois the FM, actual FM synthesis and the Specta Module?

I hope I'm not sounding like a complete idiot.
I'm beginning to think the generator modules act the same as the small waveforms that are installed on old Akai and Yamaha rack Samplers. Know what I'm saying?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Are the basic waveforms in Generator and Analog Generator just samples?

Post by NightRadio »

There are three real samplers in SunVox:
1) Sampler itself;
2) OGG Vorbis Player;
3) SpectraVoice. But unlike the true Sampler, this module creates its samples automatically (using FFT sample generator) without saving them to *.sunvox file.

All other modules are pure synths, where the waveform is calculated by formula in realtime.
nopcorp

Post by nopcorp »

So how does the Generator and Analgo generator modules create their basic waveforms? If you could just explain briefly. Thanks.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

So how does the Generator and Analgo generator modules create their basic waveforms? If you could just explain briefly.
Oh, briefly - no, sorry :) It's difficult.
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

samplers are synthesizers
use it all
yul

Post by yul »

Hello I am curious to also understand the sound generation as well. Is it wavetable? Is it realtime algorythm (ex: VA) ....Any additional info would be much appreciated. The sound is very good with a digital character (in a very good way). Thanks!
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

@nopcorp check out this link for an explanation of how different waveforms are programmed. Interesting..too difficult for me though

http://codepen.io/anon/pen/jPGJMK?utm_s ... m_term=fun
yul

Post by yul »

This is great thanks a lot!
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

yul - "Is it realtime algorythm (ex: VA)"
nr- "waveform is calculated by formula in realtime"

AKA "VA"

I was under the common dilution that "virtual analog", when it came out in the 90s, was more like what some new synths are doing now,. modeling the components of the circuits,. when it reality those first VA synths where using very simple models that did not take much of the analog-ness of the circuits into account,. as say Roland's new synths claim to do. the issue of analog "fatness" seems to come down to OSC drift from heating/stressing components behaving with slight random variations and such,. SunVox (and modern digital synthesis in general) offers so many places to add slight randomness and variations into the sound creation, and triggering,. and timing, that actual analog hardware seems more and more about fetishism than ever before. Not that we don't like, and use hardware, but the reasoning for this is changing. just an opinion.