Loading a drumkit?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
neonbible

Loading a drumkit?

Post by neonbible »

If I have a sample pack for a drumkit, e.g. TR-808. How do I load each drum sample? Do I need a separate Sampler module for each sample or is it possible to load a kit into a single module within Sunvox?
DaedalusYoung

Re: Loading a drumkit?

Post by DaedalusYoung »

You can load them in a single module, if there's 16 or less samples. Otherwise you'll need to split it up in multiple Sampler modules, and possibly drive them with a Multisynth.

However, there's something to be said for just importing each sample individually. SunVox makes a copy of the module in every song you use it. So if you have a 10 MB drumkit module, even when you only use bass, snare and hi-hat in a song, you may be wasting disk space. Also, having separate Samplers allows you to change each individual panning during the song. You can't do this for a separate sample in a Sampler pack, only the entire Sampler module.
Darkhog

Post by Darkhog »

You can load each sample for it to one sampler. You'll just have to make each sample respond to different key. But yeah, it can be done (refer to docs about how to do it, never needed that so I don't know).

//edit: Also I believe you have old info about what amount of samples can be loaded into sampler. I think NR has increased it to 128 or something like that.
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

Oh yes you can load a whole lot of samples into one sampler module and each sample can be panned etc. They can not as Daedalus says be automated separately but outside of having multiple samples on one sample slot you can do crazy much with the sampler module.
For me the first times I was doing sampler modules with multiple samples I found the process a little bit awkward but after one night transferring whole instruments into one module it became very easy and nowadays it is very fast to make sample instruments when for example I want variations of ten to twenty glitchy sounds or bongo drums or whatever to try out and not having to have a lot of separate modules everywhere. What I try to say is that take a little bit of time with sample module and you will be rewarded with a better workflow in the end plus that you will have the compiled instrument forever to use again.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
DaedalusYoung

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Darkhog wrote://edit: Also I believe you have old info about what amount of samples can be loaded into sampler. I think NR has increased it to 128 or something like that.
Oohhh! I was going by what I can see when I Edit a Sampler, that only goes up to 16. Never noticed the dropdown thingy, where I can select more sample slots.