BPM and timer question

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
jcage

BPM and timer question

Post by jcage »

Hi Alex,

I am trying to figure out how many samples fit into one measure. What timer does SV use and how are BPM calculated? Is the old formula: Tick duration (ms) = 2500/BPM still valid?

cheers,
-jc
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: BPM and timer question

Post by NightRadio »

Hi jc!
Tick duration (ms) = 2500/BPM still valid?
Yes, exactly :) SunVox uses the same formula.
jcage

Post by jcage »

Which puzzles me... I wanted to record a audio track in SV. Failing to get the input to work, I exported a playback track to wav. This file i used to record my overdub in another program. When re-importing the recorded track into SV, there was a time offset of about 100 ms after 8 min. playing time.

Well, ok, tracker thing. Then I tried resampling this 8 min. file from 22050Hz to 21322Hz so the sample count (frames) be a multitude of some desired value. But there is a strange quantization noise when playing that file in SV. The file is 16 bit. The noise is way to loud with periodic ups and downs. I can send you the files.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

In case of using analog recording (from some external audio device) - you should know that 44100Hz on one device is not the same as 44100Hz on the other device. Frequency may vary slightly - and you will get that problem you talking about above.

And about the quantization noise - mobile version of the SunVox has 13-bit sound actually. You can read about this here: https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/manual.php#comp
jcage

Post by jcage »

Hi Alex,

the noise mentioned above did not come from SV --- it resulted from applying a noise shaping algorithm (I had never tried before) in another app. Sorry for the false alarm!

I did analog recording from some external audio device, yes, which was synced internally. Thats probabely the answer to the sample offset.

cheers!
-jc