Why is the list scrolling out when there's no need

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
RayRayTea

Why is the list scrolling out when there's no need

Post by RayRayTea »

When scrolling the code list area with notes, effects, volume etc (the part on top) it always forces the cursor to be in the mddle of the top area regardless of how long the list is.

In most cases that's fine, but if the code list is say 32 lines long and the SunVox's interface is arranged in such a way that the top area is 32 lines long, what will happen is that as soon as you start editing the bottom part the top will be scrolled out, same goes for the top part. Wouldn't it make most sense if it just stopped scrolling when the cursor reaches the bottom / top of the list? As it is now, if I have a list 32 lines long and want to edit and see it all at once, I have to reserve a 64 lines of top space just because the cursor always clings to the center. Am I the only one who finds this impractical?
Last edited by RayRayTea on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Nino

Re: Why is the ist scrolling when there's no need

Post by El Nino »

"clings to the center" - maybe your not used to the way moving the cursor works in sunvox? if you are moving your finger around on the far right of the screen it will still control the cursor on the left side of the screen "remotely". if you create a pattern with only one or two tracks and move your finger in a circlular motion on the black area to the right of the tracks in the pattern editor section you can see what im trying to say.

If you prefer another way of controlling the cursor (PDA stylus way) you can change to "pen and mouse" control style...edit - preferences - interface - control type = auto/ fingers / pen and mouse. (maybe this option is only for android)

"I have a list 32 lines long and want to edit and see it all at once" -if you need to see more lines at once you can use a pinch motion to zoom in and out on the pattern editor section. The maximum number of lines you can see at once depends on the size of your screen. for example, on galaxy tab 10.1 you can see a maximum of 76 lines at once on the pattern editor screen but even if the pattern is 128 lines long its no problem, just scroll down. If you scroll beyond the end of the pattern it wraps back round to the top. On smaller android phones and iphones the maximum number of lines you can see at once is more like 23.
To get the most possible viewable lines on-screen, minimize the keyboard until its the smallest it can be and drag the upper/central horizontal divider bar to the bottom of the screen.

To get more lines on-screen the option for smaller text may be added. already in the todo list as "more fonts".

the D-pad icon on the right is good for editing on smaller screens. lock - D-pad icon (on the right, expands the D-pad)

"as you start editing the bottom part the top will be scrolled out" - Possibly the problem you are experiencing is that when you are editing lines at the end of a pattern, after you enter some data, the cursor jumps down and wraps back up to the top of the pattern.

the solution is to press the number in the black box (usually a 1) above the D-pad and change it to 0. The number is "line step" - how many lines to jump down after each entry. The list scrolls by however many lines specified in this box after each note or pattern data entry.
RayRayTea

Re: Why is the ist scrolling when there's no need

Post by RayRayTea »

Oh you're assuming I'm not using a computer。 I'm using a laptop computer with a reasonably sized monitor (my desktop computer has a very big monitor and the issue is still present). Sorry I was not explicit enough.

Making the font smaller is somewhat connected to the topic but it will not solve much, since you'll always end up with half of the list area empty as soon as you reach the bottom or top of the code (just before it wraps up).

I know how to move the interface around etc, this is barely connected with what I'm talking about. Just for clarification I'm attaching a screenshot where you can see the empty area. Notice that the pattern is 32 lines long, yet the bottom area is empty while the top part is scrolled out.

NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Why is the list scrolling out when there's no need

Post by NightRadio »

RayRayTea,
i agree with you, this is not always convenient to use.
May be i will change this in future updates.
RayRayTea

Re: Why is the list scrolling out when there's no need

Post by RayRayTea »

Thanks for considering it and for making SunVox!!