another tracker coming to iOS

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
El Nino

another tracker coming to iOS

Post by El Nino »

amdio say they are developing an iOS DAW which willl be a tracker.
from their website: "...Cycloop is going to inherit certain decisions from the famous DOS trackers (Scream, Impulse, Fast trackers)"
sounds like it will be something simple like a vertical step sequencer program...
it could be a touchscreen tracker.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: another tracker coming to iOS

Post by NightRadio »

Rival! 8)
CountSymphonic1

Post by CountSymphonic1 »

They got a long ways to go until it can compete with Sunvox, if and when they do get to that point, I'm sure that'll stimulate growth on both projects.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

their other programs are tenorion-like step sequencers. also they got into trouble for putting other peoples app names into their app descriptions
CountSymphonic1

Post by CountSymphonic1 »

El Nino wrote:their other programs are tenorion-like step sequencers. also they got into trouble for putting other peoples app names into their app descriptions
That's cheating.
odoyle

Post by odoyle »

Meh. Minor infraction & now resolved. Amidio has been making a few cutesy instruments for the mid-level iOS music crowd, but their MINT.io is actually a pretty powerful groovebox for the iPad. They've displayed that they can deliver for higher-end users already. And, I hear Drumfire is shaping up to be quite a nice drum machine.

Trust me, if they want to make an iOS DAW with tracker flavor, they'll pull it off. I'm optimistic!

Plus, competition is good for innovation, right, NR? :)

That said, Sunvox is likely ages ahead of where Amidio's 1.0 will be. Still, I'll pick it up when it comes out, provided Drumfire wows me like MINT.io did.

The only real tracker that can compete with Sunvox is Renoise—which is also unfair, because NR's the whole show for Sunvox. It's amazing Alex has done as much as he has, being all alone! Also, Sunvox wasn't $75USD... Now, if Renoise gets trimmed down and ported to iOS, I'll poo myself.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

I think the amidio thing wont turn out to be a real tracker with effect commands and everything. Probably more like a vertical step sequencer. because they said "certain decisions" would be taken from impulse tracker...

It has been a long time since renoise 2.8 and they were saying there will be 'surprises'.

renoise is awesome at a desk with a laptop or netbook and is really high quality but if you do music late at night and live in a place with thin walls, where neighbours hear everything, renoise can be a problem because of tapping the keyboard. Using sunvox is silent on a touchscreen.

I hope the future of handheld trackers will include gamepad controls as well as touchscreen controls. A combination of both.
Using gamepad is so comfortable...lsdj and lgpt controls are nice, well thought out.

Imagine a touchscreen tracker which also uses joysticks and buttons for controlling sliders or XY pads, muting tracks, turning effects on and off while recording and overdubbing etc...

(Nvidea shield, Wikipad, JXDseries, Archos gaming tablet, portable bluetooth wireless gamepads...hacked ps vitas? ...hopefully stuff like this will be used for trackers in the future)