'Stuttering' in bigger size

SnMs

'Stuttering' in bigger size

Post by SnMs »

HI NightRadio!

first, I would like to thank you for your work, it's amazing! I'm having so much fun with it :)

however, I've encountered a problem while using pixivisor:
whenever i try the highest (biggest, 128X128) video format, the app seems to 'stutter'. i've tried changing the buffer rate, and i've tried it on other pc's and also on an android phone, but the problem seems to persist.
maybe it isn't a problem at all and that's how the code works??? what am i doing wrong?? I would really like to try and use pixivisor in a 'higher resolution' mode...
I've added a recorded GIF of the issue...
https://giphy.com/gifs/l1J3O0iSGZvuC0Hio

thanks again!

E

P.S
any plans for sizes bigger than 128X128?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: 'Stuttering' in bigger size

Post by NightRadio »

I've added a recorded GIF of the issue...
Sorry but i don't hear anything wrong in your GIF. May be you can record some melody or speech to demonstrate the problem.
any plans for sizes bigger than 128X128?
Yes :) And higher sampling rates
SnMs

Post by SnMs »

thanks for the quick reply!
but... maybe i'm misunderstanding something here...
i'm talking about visual 'stutter'.
in my gif, it seems like there isn't a smooth transition between frames, instead it just stops for like a millisecond and hops on to the next frame.
i've added more examples:

this is how it looks:
https://giphy.com/gifs/l1J3BHtqtDhMqY3Li

and this is the same gif in a smaller video format, and it plays smoothly (how i want it to look in the bigger format):
https://giphy.com/gifs/26n6JE5AdtHa213fW

what am I missing here? i tried the fps, but it doesn't seem like that's the issue.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

FPS = 44100 / ( width * height )
For 64x64 you will get: 44100 / ( 64 * 64 ) = ~10 frames per second
For 128x128: 44100 / ( 128 * 128 ) = ~2.5 frames per second
So the higher resolution = the lower FPS.
sean_gagnier

Post by sean_gagnier »

Oddly enough recording at the highest available resolution of 256x256 circumvents this issue... It takes a super long time to record the frames but in the resulting GIF those recorded frames are displayed in quick succession without the stops between frames. If this is possible at the highest resolution I am not sure why it doesn't perform the same with any lesser resolution????
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

It takes a super long time to record the frames but in the resulting GIF those recorded frames are displayed in quick succession without the stops between frames.
This is normal :)
for 256x256
FPS = 44100/(256*256) = 0.67 frames per second
But during export to GIF, FPS is set to 20 for very slow videos. I will probably fix this in the next update
gabbyarise

Post by gabbyarise »

It's interesting to note that recording at the highest available resolution of 256x256 seems to bypass this issue entirely. While it does take significantly longer to record each frame, the resulting GIF displays these recorded frames in quick succession without any noticeable pauses between them. It's puzzling why this smooth playback isn't replicated with lower resolutions. If such smooth playback is achievable at the highest resolution, it begs the question of why the same performance isn't observed at lower resolutions. There may be underlying factors or limitations in the software or hardware that contribute to this discrepancy, warranting further investigation.