Sunvox is not working on Raspberry Pi with Buster because of Glibc version

Found a bug? Post it here.
celebrante

Sunvox is not working on Raspberry Pi with Buster because of Glibc version

Post by celebrante »

Hi, NightRadio! I'm trying to run Sunvox on a Pi 2 with Buster. It seems that glibc version is higher than the distro version. Is it possible to downgrade that library for more compatibility?
This is the error message:
/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libm.so.6: version GLIBC_2.29 not found

Anyway, I will try my luck with Bullseye in another SD card too.

:roll:
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Sunvox is not working on Raspberry Pi with Buster because of Glibc version

Post by NightRadio »

I promise to think about compatibility with older distributions.
Maybe the Buster for 32-bit version and the latest distro for 64-bit version.
Bariyan

Post by Bariyan »

The developer library version 2.1.1 with bullseye RasPiOS says glibc is not supported, and won't run.
I must just have to give up on this one?
signality

Post by signality »

Buster is now 2 versions out of date on the Pi. It was replaced by Bullseye and then Bookworm.

I found that Sunvox 2.1.1x will not run on my Pi400 setup with Bullseye 64 bit Debian 11 based RaspiOS because the glibc version necessary for it is not in the repos. Since the newer Bookworm Debian 12 based RaspiOS is available, I installed that onto a new SD card.

Setting up a MIDI keyboard and USB audio interface however is not straightforward because Bookworm has (largely) replaced the ALSA, Pulseaudio and JACK with Pipewire (pipewire-alsa, pipewire-pulse and pipewire-jack.

On Bullseye 64 bit Debian 11 based RaspiOS I had a perfectly good working JACK setup but since the Linux world seems determined to swap itself over to Pipewire (even the staunchly JACK only AV Linux MX!) - and despite several failed attempts with Manjaro and Debian 12 running directly on the Pi400 - I thought I'd have a go at setting up everything on Pipewire on Bookworm. It takes some very careful reading and checking because the RaspiOS version seems a bit more advanced than described in https://wiki.debian.org/PipeWire but is not that hard

I'm still testing it and haven't yet documented it but I'll try to post some instructions later. In the meanwhile if anyone needs help post back here.
signality

Post by signality »

I have now tried out SunVox 2.1.1c on a Raspberry Pi400 running Bookworm and have encountered several issues.

The link in this post:

https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6810

points to a description of the issues and details a way to work around them all to end up with a setup that is essentially identical to the one I have already used successfully for SunVox 2.1c on the Pi400 running Bullseye 64bit but which supports SunVox 2.1.1c on Bookworm 64bit.

Hopefully this will be of use to some other Pi400 etc users.

:)