monoben

Send Help

Post by monoben »

Screenshot from 2022-08-21 22-16-55.png
Screenshot from 2022-08-21 22-16-55.png (16.46 KiB) Viewed 4197 times
Keres

Re: Send Help

Post by Keres »

i believe this to be something OS specific. can you tell us what OS you are using with your PI?
monoben

Post by monoben »

monoben-pi-neofetch-21-8-2022.jpg
monoben-pi-neofetch-21-8-2022.jpg (41.21 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
Keres

Post by Keres »

ok, i think you are having the same problem i had. I have a raspberry pi v1 with an 800mghz CPU. i tried to install sunvox 1.96 with the stock "formerly called raspbian" OS and it suckd. even with the libsdl2 it had so many things going on in OS, by the time i did run it, it was unusable due to the fact that the start, stop, buttons were taken over by windo-manager hotkeys. i finally gave up and installed sunvox under DietPi. it's prolly a little more work, but i got it down to 5ms with MIDI and soundcard output PLUS the GPIO is working.
monoben

Post by monoben »

I had SunVox working real nice on this Pi before I wiped it and installed the latest Raspberry Pi bullseye OS.

It says "No such file or directory" which makes me think it might be a permissions error but I checked and it has read, write and execute permission.

In the read me it says about changing the raspi_config if it's running slow, obvs I cant even get it to run but I had a look at the raspi_config and the options it says to change aren't even there.

So Idk if this is something worth persevering with. It was working great before on the old buster Pi os on this actual Pi and we all know a machine of this calibre is a very capable SunVox host and there's so many other ones I wanna try so idk might just nuke this install.

Be a shame to miss this opportunity to understand why it isn't working, I doubt I'll be the first or last one to try to unpack the download and run it in this OS but I don't really have the skills to diagnose the problem any further.
monoben

Post by monoben »

Also Send Help seemed quite amusing at the time but I wish I'd have named this thread something like: Raspberry Pi bullseye, SunVox not executing
CHEEZ2600

Post by CHEEZ2600 »

I think the RPiOS people will fix it in the near future. They're usually courteous and on-time to fix any major issue.
Still learning...
monoben

Post by monoben »

Ok with some help from Wus and cheez in the Discord I got SunVox to run on the Pi with the latest Bullseye OS

For some technical reasons I don't understand, there are different versions or types of ARM CPU's. The Pi I have is the "Raspberry Pi 4 Model B" with a Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz CPU. In the sunvox download there are multiple binaries, arm64, armel and armhf. The armhf one has raspberry pi written next to it so I tried to run that one but the raspberry pi I have has the 64-bit CPU. I'm going out on a limb here but I assume there are some raspberry pi's that have a armhf CPU, whatever that might be, idk.

Anyway it's working nicely now when I run the arm64 version.
CHEEZ2600

Post by CHEEZ2600 »

monoben wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:49 am Anyway it's working nicely now when I run the arm64 version.
That's good. You're welcome. Might want to edit this topic's name to have [SOLVED] in it. Just in case.
Still learning...
maks

Post by maks »

monoben wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:49 am Ok with some help from Wus and cheez in the Discord I got SunVox to run on the Pi with the latest Bullseye OS

For some technical reasons I don't understand, there are different versions or types of ARM CPU's. The Pi I have is the "Raspberry Pi 4 Model B" with a Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz CPU. In the sunvox download there are multiple binaries, arm64, armel and armhf. The armhf one has raspberry pi written next to it so I tried to run that one but the raspberry pi I have has the 64-bit CPU. I'm going out on a limb here but I assume there are some raspberry pi's that have a armhf CPU, whatever that might be, idk.

Anyway it's working nicely now when I run the arm64 version.
Just FYI armhf stands for arm hardware floating point, indicating that its a Arm32 CPU with a floating point support. Some older arm CPUs and some ARM microcontrollers don't have support for FP instructions and hence floating poitn math operations need to be emulated in the compiled software.