Here a generator without "generators" as the main input

ShockWave

Here a generator without "generators" as the main input

Post by ShockWave »

Version 1

This project started off as an experiment with LFO's just seeing what I can do with them while getting more familiar with some of the nuances of the software. Through this experimentation I ended up with an analog generator that doesnt use the any of the input generators. Using Velocity2Ctl and Pitch2Ctl and a couple of filters I was able to get most of the functionality of the standard generator and more using just LFO's as the main source. Functionality includes, wave destabilization, better noise options, more advanced envelope options and a waveshaper.

It also has the really cool ability to change the shape of the wave generated based on velocity usually leading to waves that sound related to each other but different at the same time. This can be turned off.

There are some downsides to the module however like no polyphony and depending on what wave shape you use in the waveshaper it can start to clip while switching frequencies. This can be somewhat mitigated however. There is also the inconvenience of having to enter the metamodule to change certain elements such as the wave shape and the dampener behavior.

I do have some ideas to fix these issues while keeping the LFO's but the easier solution would be just to use analog generator modules instead(it wouldn't be as cool tho). In practical use its really good at making complex and irregular waves and sounds for building your own synths with.
ShockWaves XFire Generator.sunsynth
(39.6 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Also if you guys have any tips to make it better I would really appreciate it.

Patch 1:
  • Fixed envelope response(again Thanks ACheney)
  • Changed the name of a module

Version 2

YFire Generator:
ShockWaves YFire Generator.zip
(22.29 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Here is a summed up list of the changes:
  • A far superior waveshaper implementation (Thanks to ACheney for the cool idea) with multiple banks of categorized and this time properly calculated waveforms.
  • Polyphony
  • Massively De-janked generator modules(with some advice from NightRadio)
  • A more refined sound in general
  • and some miscellaneous control fixes and additions
Patch 1:
  • fixed triangle wave controls not being assigned any modules
Last edited by ShockWave on Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
AutumnCheney

Re: building a generator without "generators" as the main input

Post by AutumnCheney »

this is really cool! building a generator with internal waveshapers is a great idea

though i don't think the envelope behaves correctly? i set the attack, decay, and release to 0 and the sustain level all the way up and i expect it to gate on/off but it doesn't

also, i imagine with some pixilang generated multictl curves you could make a selector for the waveshapers

actually i could make something like this myself, but i think it'd also be nice to give you credit for the idea
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
ShockWave

Re: Here a generator without "generators" as the main input

Post by ShockWave »

Thanks for the advice!
Also I have just fixed the issue with the envelope behavior had a setting set wrong. There is module called response(which is a bad name for it im just now realising) if you set the response value in the response module from the value that is currently at to roughly 227 it should fix the issue and save you from downloading it again.
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

AutumnCheney wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:37 pm also, i imagine with some pixilang generated multictl curves you could make a selector for the waveshapers

actually i could make something like this myself, but i think it'd also be nice to give you credit for the idea
well, i went and did it. it's actually an update to an older released module of mine, the "pseudotable"

you can adjust the "wave selection" controller to smoothly fade between sixteen different wave shapes, and now you can also apply effects to the scanning saw wave to get different effects, like sync or quantization

it was actually inspired by the wavetable oscillators in ni massive, and taking from that i also added a modulation oscillator which can phase/ring/position modulate the wave (this is an old feature though)

it's dirty and synthetic, perfect for electro or other vehemently electronic purposes

anyways, this update was inspired by your module and i figured i'd maybe give you homage somewhere?
Attachments
ACheney Pseudotable.sunsynth.zip
(12.74 KiB) Downloaded 115 times

ShockWave

Post by ShockWave »

I mean its your idea to do it that way so take the credit. Even as short as I have used this software I have already lost count on the amount of modules I ogled for inspiration. That's how ppl learn from one another.
You can pay homage to me if you want but you dont have too though.

And its a really good idea the way you implemented so if you dont mind I would like to use this style of implementation as well. Its a definite refinement. Ill give credit.

edit:

I was talking about it to a friend of mine and she threatened with violence to take credit for my idea so eh for my own safety you can pay homage to me somewhere. I have a bad habit of undervaluing my ideas. It also doesn't help that I have mild case of the Dunning-Kruger valley fever and Ill still give credit to you for making it practical.
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

ShockWave wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:15 pm And its a really good idea the way you implemented so if you dont mind I would like to use this style of implementation as well. Its a definite refinement. Ill give credit.
great! btw, if you want to implement that, you'll also need this: the pixilang script used to generate the fader curves. it's a modified version of the default curve generator script, just change the "levels" variable to the amount of faders you want - 1

i'll link it to this post

have fun! :)
Attachments
sunvox_curve_generator_modified_faders.pixi
(5.24 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

update: added wave bending to the pseudotable, analogous to massive's bending modes
Attachments
ACheney Pseudotable.sunsynth.zip
(14.14 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

ShockWave

Post by ShockWave »

AutumnCheney wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:20 am
ShockWave wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:15 pm And its a really good idea the way you implemented so if you dont mind I would like to use this style of implementation as well. Its a definite refinement. Ill give credit.
great! btw, if you want to implement that, you'll also need this: the pixilang script used to generate the fader curves. it's a modified version of the default curve generator script, just change the "levels" variable to the amount of faders you want - 1

i'll link it to this post

have fun! :)
Many thanks! I have also gotten a close enough to polyphonic version now using LFO's and it also eliminated the clipping. It was a lot easier than I thought honestly. I was just overthinking it

I have added to solution to Techniques and Tricks with explanation:
https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6167
ShockWave

Post by ShockWave »

I have been experimenting a bit with your waveShaper selection system not sure I will use these variations on it bc its a lot modules but it was fun to experiment with. My attempts at making them more module efficient didnt really workout either as I learnt there are some heavy limitations on how MultiCtr's function.

Here is most of the experimentation I did.
wave selection experiments.zip
(22.89 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
One of the experiments can select up to 3 modules from the same set of waveshapers and another I tried to combine mix functionality into the areas where the wave shapers are off. It did work but thats also where I learnt most of the limitations with MultiCtl modules. I had wished the system to be more efficient but alas.

Also I somehow missed the part that you posted your own script :D (I thought it was another module) so I made my own but I guess it didnt hurt to learn pixilang along the way.
ShockWave

Post by ShockWave »

It took quite a bit of work but I think it finally paid off. Finally got a version of the module that I think is actually properly usable. There are still some things I could add or tidy up but I think its better to just get it out and work on something else for a while.

The file and the changes have been added to the OP.

I hope you guys like it and if there any suggestions I would gladly read them.