Syncing Step Sequencers

AdrianGroty

Syncing Step Sequencers

Post by AdrianGroty »

So, this is a cluster of metamodules that are meant to be used together as a performance-oriented sequencer. A theoretically unlimited number of 8-step sequences can be independently programmed to run different patterns in different ranges at different TPL values, but all stay synced to a common BPM, and TPL changes are sort of "quantized" to prevent accidental desync.

Each sequence's range is set via the highest/lowest note ctls, and each per-step note slider's entire throw will relate to exactly and only this range; it can be as narrow or as wide as you like. This favors spontaneity at the cost of precision. It is impossible to know what notes are being set in an absolute sense, and you will almost certainly need to filter this through some kind of tuning/scale module to get useful results.

The BPM module is simply a multictl that sets all other modules' BPM simultaneously. The Clock module effectively sends out a pulse every quarter note at current BPM. TPL adjustments will not take effect until this pulse is received.

Play a note into the CLOCK module to run. The RESET module is simply a workaround to accommodate the way the sequences are triggered/sustained. After stopping playback, just wiggle the RESET module's value slider and put it back at maximum to prime it for starting again.

The "wait for sync pulse" function was achieved by using DC offsets into sound2ctls which set a multisynth's transpose value, which in turn sets each seqeuence's TPL.This particular mechanism feels janky to me, like there is probably a more elegant solution that i have overlooked. I encourage anyone to improve on this in any way they can..

BPM -> CLOCK
BPM -> SEQ (all)
CLOCK -> SEQ (all)
RESET -> SEQ (all)

Example project: https://www.mediafire.com/download/jrd7rktlc52fw1o
Attachments
SEQbpm.sunsynth
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
SEQclock.sunsynth
(4.13 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
SEQreset.sunsynth
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Last edited by AdrianGroty on Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdrianGroty

Re: Syncing Step Sequencers

Post by AdrianGroty »

Didn't accept all 4 attachments in OP. Here is the missing one:
Attachments
SEQ8Step.sunsynth
(24.48 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
leondustar

Re: Syncing Step Sequencers

Post by leondustar »

very cool!
I was already hoping for something like this.