Sonic Maximizer

Keres

Sonic Maximizer

Post by Keres »

anyone ever play with an old BBE sonic maximizer? i was reading up on what it actually does, which is weird. so the theory is that mixing and mastering, even in live situations with a sound board, the speakers are tricked into blasting out frequencies that are distorted in terms of natural timing. highs are supposed to reach your ears first, then the lows, but because of electronics, they all come out at the same time resulting in an un-natural sounding effect. to deal with this the guys at BBE basically delayed the lows (below 145 Hz) by a certain amount (with a bass boost). then they "contoured" the highs by ducking the amplitude of the mid frequency (145-2500 Hz) by the amp of the highs...

i think i got it right, but i don't actually know because i have never owned one, and i don't install VST plugins (or have a way to). I had an Aphex aural exciter, but the transistors on the power block fried to a crisp. thats what i get for buying rack gear at the flea market.

try it out and let me know how it compares to the real thing.

thanks
Attachments
Keres_SawnicMax.sunsynth
(26.02 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Keres

Re: Sonic Maximizer

Post by Keres »

i tested it on a Jerry Lee Lewis Import vinyl from 1960... seemed to make it sound a little better especially in the lows... but who knows.

anyone?

listen to music on anything other than air-pods anymore?
AutumnCheney

Re: Sonic Maximizer

Post by AutumnCheney »

i heard about people using this on electric guitars and basses and things, so i threw together a quick guitar patch to test it out

can't tell if it's actually doing anything tbh. maybe it would be noticable if the sound was coming from a crappy amp, but from what i tried to do, i couldn't notice anything different

there are plenty of yt vids of people using this on their equipment, maybe you could use those as a reference?
Attachments
sawmaxtest.sunvox
(53.41 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!