MECΗ HΛVEΠ: Behind the sense 0001 - Solo 2nd Order Karplus-Strong Generator

Logickin λ

MECΗ HΛVEΠ: Behind the sense 0001 - Solo 2nd Order Karplus-Strong Generator

Post by Logickin λ »

Actually the original reason of making this module is forgotten, at first this module was not intended to be made for the compo. (and the song was not intended as a compo entries either, but the module opens the possibility)

Perhaps that was be created accidentally due to testing some round robin experiment, since the round robin mechanism cannot support sustain (It sucks btw, so I never mention it), meaning that Karplus-Strong Generator is a good choice for that mechanism.

Back to the main topic, after the round robin experiment, I finding the standard Karplus-Strong suffers 2 issues:
- The Note is too short to be practical
- Too harsh

So I was randomly mess around the mechanics, by adding some more stuff.
I found out that if 2 echo chains together, the second echo produces much longer notes, but the attack is longer.
If 2 output of the signal combine to each other, the first order echo will produce short and crispy Attack, then the second order echo will make a longer sustain.

Cool! I just made a harpsichord, but how to make it more versatile? Filter was the first thing came in my mind, so I add a filter pro for the output.
Sound is now softer and more pleasant, but realized that it is still not too useful to make enough practical sounds. As a result, I add an old version of filter (Just want a mellow sound for sustain, so the loss of the high end was not cared) after the second order echo to open a few more sound design opportunities.

There is now an Improved version, Solo 2nd Order Karplus-Strong Plus, which has a safe mode to limit the ranges that has acceptable tune, the feedback is set to 0 after the end of the envelope to stabilize the volume consistency of the module, and has a midi out for my newly developed effect modules which will be release in the future.

The modules:
https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 702#p20310

Demo:
Solo 2nd Order Karplus Strong Demo.zip
(3.94 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

Please report down below if the module contains bugs.
Attachments
Logickin Solo 2nd Order Karplus Strong.sunsynth
(10.22 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Logickin Solo 2nd Order Karplus Strong Plus.sunsynth
(21.83 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Last edited by Logickin λ on Sat May 15, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logickin λ

Re: MECΗ HΛVEΠ: Behind the sense 0001 - Solo 2nd Order Karplus-Strong Generator

Post by Logickin λ »

Update:
- added midi out option for key tracking filters and op blocks.
Attachments
Logickin Solo 2nd Order Karplus Strong.sunsynth
(11.97 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
Logickin Solo 2nd Order Karplus Strong Plus.sunsynth
(23.59 KiB) Downloaded 173 times