The Epic Percussions, powered by reverb impulse response [Update 2.0: Keyswitchs, Algorithms, Advance Mode and New Demo]

Logickin λ

The Epic Percussions, powered by reverb impulse response [Update 2.0: Keyswitchs, Algorithms, Advance Mode and New Demo]

Post by Logickin λ »

Version 2.2.0 Released!:
This module has a great update! Not only building the module from sketch, but also with new features!
- 5 new algorithms! Just like a multiple operator FM synth, this module now has an option to switch different algorithms which they all have subtle timbre change due to different filter and reverb routing configuration. You can set the input module parameter to "4" and pressing C0 - G0 (6 algorithms and mute), or...

- Keyswitches! Tired of changing algorithms by switching input module back and forward? You can actually change them on the fly. Just press C0 - G0 when it is on input module parameter "1"(Synth Mode) and ...

- Advance Mode! When setting "3" for parameter input module, you can now use both midi and audio as input, so you can apply keyswitches with your favorite sound source! It is called advance mode since it must require multisynth to feed the midi data into the synth which might caused confusion when using this synth for the first time.

- Minimal routing map. Having no idea when is the configuration of different algorithm? You can click the edit button to the epic percussion module, and take a look to the pattern view of the project. Or you can take a look to the routing table at the end of this changelog

- New Demo is uploaded. Since this module has a major change, I have to update my demo. The new demo contains 3 type of genres: Epic music, Hip-hop and House, with different sounds from a taikos to bongos.

- Since the new edition is much more larger (36kB, compared with 8kB), the old 1.1.0 is still be available for download, but it is re-named to "Epic Percussion Lite" since it only has algorithm of "C0" and it is much smaller in size; however, it is still powerful enough for making various of percussion sound.

The Routing table:

Version 1.1.0 Updated!:
- You can now use this module as an effect! Changing the input module parameter to "2", then you are in "Effect Mode", which you can now load your own impulse to generate more unique percussion sound, or just use it as a standard multi-reverb!

- Added cowbells for demo to demonstrate the module be used as an effect.

- fixed the wrong naming for the filter parameters

Original Post:
There was a time I attempted to make epic music, but I failed, since I having hard time to find those big, crushing, epic sounds.
Even though found some basic booms and taiko samples, I am still not a fan of it, as it takes large amount of size for each project, which is not scalable when I want to preview the song on my phone or stored a numbers of projects that uses the same sound. :(

One day, I was making that imaginary realm song, I found that some simple ideas can make some nice percussion, without using samples:

When you send a pulse to the reverb module, you get the impulse response of the reverb, which is not special at all.
However, when I was applying multiple of them with different reverb settings and some filters, I managed to get those big, epic boom sound.
I found that is really handy, since I can now able to design my own percussion sound, without using loads of samples.
After finished the song, I decided to make a module out of it, so I made the following set up:

3 reverbs, 2 filters, and an impulse generator, perfectly fits all the 27 parameters on the metamodule.

To use the module, it is recommended to follow the step below (This is not the only way, so you can do whatever you want):

1. Change all "reverb mix" parameter to 0, so you will be less confused on design a sound later on.

2. Turn on the "reverb A mix" for the "impact" sound, which has an independent filter, so you can use it for simulate the sound of a stick or a mallet.

3. Now you can hear something, then you can messing around the filter inside the impulse generator. If you want to make low end sound like the kick or taiko, you may use the original impulse or the impulse applied with a low pass filter. For high end stuff like crash or high hat, you may set the impulse filter to high pass, which giving a shorter pulse. You can also apply some resonance to make the sound "Ring".

4. After confirm the impulse configuration and the idea of your percussion, you may mess around the reverb setting for the reverb A:
- feedback and damp will affect how long your percussion will be;
- Stereo width will affect how much spread or centered of your sound;
- Room size will affect how "large" is your percussion;
- And random seed will change the characteristic of the sound.
After you done, you may now also turn on reverb B and C to get the sound about the main body and the tail of your percussion.

5. Once you have done the previous steps, the 2 filters can further shape the percussion by removing unwanted frequency.

6. You finished to make a new percussion, go ahead to play with your keyboard. The module supports velocity, so you can play the percussion with some dynamics. You may also automate some of the parameters, result in a more natural sound.

Demo - Drum Sequence of Epic Music, Hip-hop and House:
Epic Percussion 2.0 Demo.zip
(41.87 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Epic Percussion 2.2:
Logickin Epic Percussions v2.2.sunsynth
(36.99 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Epic Percussion Lite:
Logickin Epic Percussions Lite.sunsynth
(8.73 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Have fun on sound design! 8)
Last edited by Logickin λ on Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:27 am, edited 7 times in total.
sk0

Re: The Epic Percussions, powered by reverb impulse response

Post by sk0 »

This sounds really great!
I'm planning to make some epic-like song, so probably I'll use it :)
Keres

Post by Keres »

Cool Kit and cool idea. I have also used the flanger and pitch shifter for this similar purpose. good for things like snares. also, a person could download your kits, and then put their own transients directly in those patches. for example, load up your .sunsynth and drop an analog module tuned to a short decay 4th (using the second frequency). Boom! instant 808 cowbell. you can color those patches with traditional transient makers. the kit sounds good by itself tho... very pure sound!
Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

I'm planning to make some epic-like song, so probably I'll use it
Thank you! Have fun to create your own percussion :)
I have also used the flanger and pitch shifter for this similar purpose. good for things like snares.
I don't thought about to adding flanger and pitch shifter for a snare, creating a really cool flam effect, which sounds cool 8)
also, a person could download your kits, and then put their own transients directly in those patches. for example, load up your .sunsynth and drop an analog module tuned to a short decay 4th (using the second frequency). Boom! instant 808 cowbell.
Great suggestion! I am going to update the module now, to support user's input, so people can use it as an effect too!
I will add cowbell to the updated demo XD
philipbergwerf

Re: The Epic Percussions, powered by reverb impulse response [Update: Effect Mode]

Post by philipbergwerf »

Really cool, It sounds really close to the 'Godzilla hits' from EastWest. The reverb is a brilliant part of sunvox!
Logickin λ

Re: The Epic Percussions, powered by reverb impulse response [Update: Effect Mode]

Post by Logickin λ »

philipbergwerf wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:39 pm Really cool, It sounds really close to the 'Godzilla hits' from EastWest. The reverb is a brilliant part of sunvox!
That's interesting to know! Meanwhile, I am about to update my module now, here is the hint for the next update: