Crisper

ragingcoast

Crisper

Post by ragingcoast »

Hi everyone!
Loving Sunvox and want to give back to the community, starting with this effect which was made for the 2020 Sunvox competition.

Want to give your synths or hihats a brighter, more dynamic, unique sound? The Crisper is a velocity-sensitive high frequency booster. It boosts high frequencies based on the current velocity of the signal using a configurable High Shelf, and has a configurable waveshaper to further crack up low peaks at M and H frequencies. The result is a brighter, crisper sound.

Demo: https://mobile.twitter.com/SveTob/statu ... 6530038784

If you find improvements I would love to know. I have tried to keep it simple to understand and easy to use. Enjoy and hope its useful!
Attachments
STOICSOUND Crisper.sunsynth
(15.42 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
leondustar

Re: Crisper

Post by leondustar »

Interesting, thx will try.
I was actually wanting this, like just brightening up the peaks, since signal summing usually introduces loss of brightness. Will try adap.
leondustar

Post by leondustar »

Stoicsound, I've tried, and this is an amazing sounding plugin.
I tried it on a snare, and it turned it into 'punch-in-the-face'-style brightness-levels without clipping.

I've noticed you used bandsplitting and waveshapers.
Could you elaborate on how the waveshapers work?
I've never really found use for them as they always horribly clip/distort things...
How is it possible that it doesn't distory/clip at all?

Nothing but love from Budapest
ragingcoast

Post by ragingcoast »

Hi, thanks for trying and glad that you like it!

The waveshapers attempt to ‘snap up’ peaks at lower amplitudes for those frequency bands, the goal was to give more metallic rumble to cymbal fadeout tails.

As for how they work - they do cause distortion, in fact thats their very definition, but once you get the hang of them you can mostly get rid of the nasty digital artifacts they can create by just carefully tuning the shape. Only tips I can give are:

- Experiment and trust your ears
- Think about what you want to achieve with your sound before adding your waveshaper
- Sharp curves and corners in your shape will add high frequency distortion. To avoid that, use a smooth shape.
- Finally: Hammer the Smooth button!!

In this case: There is high freq distortion. But, since the shapers only apply to high frequencies in this module, they mix in with the rest of the high freq sound and sound like adding a bright character instead of sharp distortion (its still there - just less noticeable)
queries

Post by queries »

Nice thing about the Smooth button is that you can hold it down to auto-hammer it :)
ragingcoast

Post by ragingcoast »

Oh thats dope! You just saved me a broken finger!