Classic Rack Effects

hseiken

Classic Rack Effects

Post by hseiken »

I like ReNoise as much as Sunvox, though in ReNoise, I don't use a lot of the built in effects and instead use this collection of 'classic' effects.
https://allvstfree.blogspot.com/2016/01 ... s-vst.html

Not having access to them in Sunvox was the first thing I wanted to 'fix' as best as possible, so I've made some approximations to these effects (they could be better, but for the most part, they behave mostly as the VST versions).

So this thread is for the ones I've made in addition to some other stuff. I was going to wait until the vinyl with my sunvox tracks came out, but it appears I'm going to be in the middle of a cross country move during that time, so I figured I'd drop them early. The tracks on the EP were all made using these so I hope that sorta gives them a little 'street cred'. :)

Also included is a drum machine I built and used on the EP, an auto sample chopper with adjustable split points and a juno-style pad synth as well as a bonus '2 Band Distortion' effect.

My goal with these, too, was make them as light weight as possible so you can use these on mobile as well. For the most part, I think I succeeded, though you may want to dip into the metamachines and turn some stuff into LQ or mono if you use a lot of them in your tracks. My final track machine count tends to stay around 20 or less, and nothing I made on the EP can't be run on my cheapo Galaxy 7 Tab.

Anyway, hope you guys like 'em and feel free to modify/fix/tweak to your heart's content and reupload if you want. Open Sauce Music 4 life. :)

(Each of the following first replies is for each machine!)
Last edited by hseiken on Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
hseiken

Re: Classic Rack Effects

Post by hseiken »

CLASSIC CHORUS:

This is mono or stereo chorus with adjustable range and feedback as well as width and other stuff. It's range of settings allow to touch on the edge of experimental, but is mostly constrained to musically useful settings.
CLASSIC CHORUS.sunsynth
(10.01 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

CLASSIC FLANGER:

Flanger's aren't always useful, but when you need one, you really need one! This flanger allows getting that weird spinny sound or just a slight bit of extra character on your favorite sounds as well as simply spread out the stereo on something in a more interesting way than simply inversing the waveforms in the strereo pair (and also sounds fine when mixed back down to mono!).
CLASSIC FLANGER.sunsynth
(13.64 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

CLASSIC DELAY:

The classic delay allows for more tape-like sounds, degrading sound over time. Each feedback of the delay can be filtered so you can get some really nice dub-like sounds out of it, or simply add some space to a sound without the taps stepping on the input sound. Very classic sounds can be achieved but as with all of these, it also allows settings that reach to the edge of experimental. Careful consideration was made to stop infinite feedback/distortion as much as possible, but i'm sure clever people will figure out how to set it up so that statement becomes untrue. :)
CLASSIC DELAY.sunsynth
(9.46 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

CLASSIC STEREO EQ:

This EQ is a 7 band stereo EQ. Not only can you shape the character of sound with it, but you can change it's stereo character as well, since each left and right audio signals can be eq'd independently. However, for the less adventurous, if you look at the bottom of all the sliders (SO MANY SLIDERS!) you'll see that you can use it as a normal 7 band eq, with sliders that affect both channels equally. Give your mix some kick with this one.
CLASSIC 7 BAND STEREO EQ.sunsynth
(28.05 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

CLASSIC MULTIBAND COMPRESSOR (based on Gran Comp 3 by x-buz):

This may have been posted here before (and isn't actually a 'classic' machine) but it's a staple in my mixdowns, so I'm including it here. It's a 3 band compressor with customizable crossovers from mid/low and mid/high. Each of the 3 signals gets it's own compressor settings, gain and output and then all three are routed back into a master limiter for leveling off. This metamachine is also nice for processing samples. Just route your sounds into it then out to a sampler and record to save on CPU time (i.e. bake your sounds) since this effect is probably the most CPU intensive.
GRAN COMP 3 REDUX.sunsynth
(10.13 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

CLASSIC 2 BAND DISTORTION:

This is also not a 'classic' plug in on that VST list, but I felt that the distortion needed the same kind of 'classic love' and so this inspired by amp sims and the like. It's rather light weight and you can take it to very digital places. Combined with a classic EQ module, you can get some smooth distortion going. Despite this, it has pre-gain EQ, individual controls for high and low band distortion and a crossover control as well as stereo width control (only for the high end, bottom in is ALWAYS mono), and final output EQ. Like the rest of these machines, it attempts to keep things in musical territory rather than experimental. This distortion is nice for getting some aggressive synth basslines and leads.
CLASSIC 2 BAND DISTORTION.sunsynth
(7.44 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

8 PART SAMPLE SLICER:

For people that work with loops, it's nice to be able to 'play' immediately with a sound to see if it inspires you when cut up, or simply to experiment quickly. This 8 part sample slicer immediately chops up anything loaded into it and allows playing the slices on keys C5-D6. In addition, where each key slices the sample is adjustable in the controls.

To load up a sample to use, enter the metamchine through it's "EDIT" button, then load up the sample in the SAMPLER machine and exit back to your project. To pitch the sample, just double click the sampler machine inside the metamachine and set it's note offset there for quick access, then quickly exit back out to your project to hear the change. In the future, if there's a better way to handle this, I'll update it (or if someone does it before me, all the better!)

For extra fun, set your sample to loop. This allows for unexpected fun when jamming out. :)
8 Part Sample Slicer.sunsynth
(10.73 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

CLASSIC DRUM MACHINE:

This drum machine isn't quite classic, but is inspired by the classic 808 and 909 drum machines, though it doesn't really sound like either. The kick, snare, rim/stick and hi hats all have individual settings and the hi hat does have open and closed variations that cut each other off. The kick and snare have 'aggression' type settings which add a touch of overdrive and all of the noise synthesis by default is in stereo. If this bothers you, simply send it's output into an AMP machine and set it's stereo width to 0. Maybe in the future I'll have this inside of the machine, but for now, it's always in wide stereo. This was used (and continues to be used) over a lot of my breakbeat hardcore tracks. If you like classic dance music, this drum machine might be useful to you. :)
HSI DRUM FACTORY.sunsynth
(35.67 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

'94 AMEN SHIFTA:

If you make classic jungle, this effect is for you! It auto pitches any drum loop with that nasty 'robotic' sound of classic 90's jungle across your keyboard! WIKKID MON! To become the next bad bwoy, once this machine is loaded, EDIT it and look for the sampler that says 'PUT YOUR DRUMS HERE' and do what it says. It only allows a single sample and there's not much in the way of edits you can do other than mix and width. But that's all you need to become the next STEPPA! :)
94 Amen Shifta.sunsynth
(6.95 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

JIGSAW SYNTH:

Finally, a juno inspired pad and bass machine. Not much to say about this one other than it's great for both modern dance music and classic 80's synthwave shenanigans. It's got a built in chorus with spread and allows for all 6 oscilators to be adjusted in a mode similar to the now infamous 'unison', but shifting their phase and subtly detuning each one from the other for big phat sounds. Try it out, you may find some insane sounds hidden within. It's good for ambient stuff, too, btw!
HSI Jigsaw.sunsynth
(27.04 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
AzzzX

Post by AzzzX »

Thank You, Sensei!
cube48

Post by cube48 »

Nice modules! Thanks!
blacbeard

Post by blacbeard »

Heavy Systems Inc is the OG.

Wow! I love the Kjaerhus effects and have been wanting a chorus in SV for a while.

Love your tunes BTW.
leondustar

Post by leondustar »

Awesome, im going to check this out ASAP