LR position

Saltbearer

LR position

Post by Saltbearer »

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize adjusting panning doesn't move a signal between channels at all. :oops: I don't see one of these already posted here, so here, simple thing to adjust channel volume and stereo position independently.

Look two posts down before downloading.
Attachments
LRposition.sunsynth
(9.07 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
Last edited by Saltbearer on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Saltbearer

Re: LR position

Post by Saltbearer »

For fun, I made it work in the strange way I assumed the panning controller worked, which I never bothered to test.
Attachments
LRsquasher.sunsynth
(15.97 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
Saltbearer

Re: LR position

Post by Saltbearer »

I'm leaving the old one up, but you should probably use this updated one:
So_ingMachine LR Fine Position.sunsynth
(10.92 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
I just realized I could change all of the controllers from volume to fine volume + give the positions a response controller. It's a lot smoother now!

I also just gave myself a massive headache trying to add an option to counter the amplitude increase when the channels are moved closer together. I had a +128 DC amp going into an amp with its fine volume controlled by one positioning MultiCtl, a -128 DC into the same thing for the other positioning MultiCtl, and an amp to mix those going to a Sound2Ctl going to the fine volume of a final amp before output that the L and R volume amps were routed into. The problem was I wanted the influence to be adjustable, but the S2C needed to interpret a balanced DC mix as its minimum value, and... uh... I DON'T KNOW, trying to remember where I encountered a problem and articulate how exactly it was being a problem is making my extremely non-metaphorical headache worse. I kept trying to walk myself through what I was doing in terms of "thing gets quiet" and "thing gets loud", but I was constantly tripped up by "quiet" actually meaning "loud" which then meant a thing would become quiet but actually I'd just reversed it so it actually was loud now but I couldn't do that for reasons.

well anyway, I had it sort of working without the influence controller, buuuuut it didn't seem smooth, I didn't want it to have to be its own separate module or lacking the controller, and my headache was too bad to get it back to its sorta-working state, so I'm going to just forget about it for now. I hope. maybe I'll spend more time with it and make no progress because I'm dumb and stubborn.

Edit: Instead of sleeping, I just checked a sweep of an L signal from L to R, annnd I guess there's always been a dip in the center even without converging signals. If that's a solvable problem, I hope someone can explain how. Should the MultiCtls be curved or something? ... in the meantime, it still more or less does what it does, and ears and volume sliders are as useful as ever. so.

Edit 2: After sleeping, I forgot what the problem with using the S2C min. value for gain was:
It effectively just lowers the overall volume - the center becomes quieter with overlap vs. the edges becoming louder. It also throws off the controller organization...