My Cheesy Drum Synths

dusicyon

My Cheesy Drum Synths

Post by dusicyon »

Hello people, I made some synthesized percussion and now I'm sharing. :)

What it is:
It's a set with 12 sounds: "claps", clave, cowbell, cymbal, hat c, hat o, kick, shaker (rattle, cabasa, call it what you want), tom h, tom m, tom l (they looks like congas lol :ROFL: ). They're synthesized "from zero" with no samples. My initial idea was to make a "high quality" set and a "lo-fi" one, but they're realy CPU drinker :%) so I'm sending just the "lo-fi" ones, they're better in some ways. :roll:
They looks like the Roland's TR 909 and 808, because I picked some designs from them and adapted to sunvox.

Why:
My favorite samples are "overused" hehehe :oops:. Using synths instead of samples can make minor files. They use more CPU, but you can do cool things messing with the parameters. They're authentic. Sunvox already have an amazing drumsynth and kicker, but you can feel miss of some cowbells (lol), claves, toms (or congas?)... You can edit things and make some electronic percussion that doesn't really exists. :crazy:
Ok, I think that they're cool.

Last words:
The example song shows each sound and a pattern where I try to overload the system as running test. The sounds are very dry, the claps, for example, are trash, but can be nice with EQ, glizard's exciter and some reverb. I tried to do just the basis.
Hope you guys like it someway. :roll:

Example file:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwXnGfe ... sp=sharing

The .sunsynth modules:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwXnGfe ... sp=sharing

Both google drive links.

The drafts:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8 ... 8657DF!167 (MS skydrive)
Last edited by dusicyon on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
gilzad

Re: My Cheesy Drum Synths

Post by gilzad »

Nice experiment! I think you can get very natural hihat-sounds, if you quieten the tonal part a bit more. On a demoparty some dude once told me that FM-synthesis works awesome for natural hats.

Have you accidently swapped the patterns in your example file or have you chosen the one that plays all percussions at once on purpose?

The cowbell is my favorite :)
dusicyon

Post by dusicyon »

Yes, it was on purpose, because I don't wanted to surprise people with sudden noise. :)
I remeber some information I read that FM isn't CPU-friendly, don't know if it applies to sunvox. I'll try FM in my next experiments, seems to make more realistic things.
Thanks.

btw: I tested using a sample to compare the usage of power, and get surprised: samples in some cases uses more processing power. I think it will not a bad deal if I make more complex things...
El Niño

Post by El Niño »

hey dusicyon, your synthezised drums sound awesome man. exactly the kind of synthesized drums I have been looking for. i was wondering, is there any way to open the metamodules individually to see how you made the drums one at a time? thanks for sharing those
dusicyon

Post by dusicyon »

Sure! Here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8 ... 8657DF!167
It's really a good idea to bend the synths.
El Niño

Post by El Niño »

Hey dude, thankyou so much for taking the time to post all of those. Seeing how you did those cymbals, hihats and the clave will really help me with my music a lot. You got some genius techniques there man! :)
dusicyon

Post by dusicyon »

Thanks, you're welcome! :beer:
excelenter

Post by excelenter »

dusicyon: thanks, very-very nice! And claps are not so bad actually :)
On a demoparty some dude once told me that FM-synthesis works awesome for natural hats.
That's true!
I've tried to synthesize some hihats with analog generators but failed -- they sounded like garbage. And then I've tried FM, and it worked really well! You should give it a try too :)