SunVox Compo 2021.02

Extreem

Re: SunVox Compo 2021.02

Post by Extreem »

Just submitted my vote.
All your creations are nice, even the ones that I voted low on.

(ASTRAL REVOLT IS AMAZING OH MY GOD-)
EXT
Obscure

Post by Obscure »

I'm still listening through all of the songs before I submit my votes, but I have to say:

Guggel's Brainfart is GENIUS. Love it.
Check me out on YouTube!
Extreem

Post by Extreem »

Keep in mind that the kick for Ethers might sound bad depending on your volume and/or speaker.
It's also better without headphones imo

(i made the kick loud so the snare would sound cool im sorry-)
Last edited by Extreem on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXT
AutumnCheney

Post by AutumnCheney »

[hi all, i decided to write short reviews on every track! i put them in a text file, but couldn't upload it, so i'll just copy it here. feel free to read the reviews for your song]

welcome to my 2021.2 compo review!

the individual reviews are formatted like this:

artist - song title - my rating: my thoughts on the song

my ratings can be described like this:

7 - beautiful
6 - amazing
5 - good
4 - meh
3 - bad
2 - terrible
1 - trash

these aren't really formal reviews, just more or less me typing thoughts as i listen to the songs. i like to listen for sound design, composition, atmosphere, and mixing and mastering. i will keep my volume at a constant level , so i can properly comment on mastering.

with that said, let's begin!

!!!!!output0 - Welcome to the Sunvox Compo! - 2: i like the ending a little, very controlled chaos vibe, but of course it's output0, clearly you're going for an "intentionally bad" feeling.

21music - Compo rave - 4: really repetitive, though i suppose the sound design is alright. i do like the beginning, it's very calm and completely unlike the rave lunacy that follows

21music - Looner Syndrome - 4: the chiptune vibes here are nice, though this also suffers from unnecessary repetition, could use some risers or background sfx or something to make it more interesting throughout

A1 - I Can Make It - 6: very calm, i like the short chip synths and pads, and i especially like the bridge, with the pad chords and everything

Artinum - Laser Canon - 4: the polyphonic melodies and crab canon are cool, though the sound design is very basic and the overall song structure is kind of impenetrable. or maybe i just can't appreciate baroque-style music who knows

Artinum - Piano - 5: definitely has a much simpler and calmer melody than "Laser Canon", and this works in its favor. once again though, the sound design is basic and the song structure is a bit dense, perhaps you should add some more rests and silences to give the listener time to breathe?

Awi - ASTRAL REVOLT - 7: holy crap i love the arpeggios in the beginning, and the song progresses to a euphoric beat and lead melody. nothing really is wrong here, though perhaps the clipping on the master could be fixed? idk

Caccia - Prototype T6 - 4: somewhat uninteresting composition here, don't have much else to say tbh

Caccia - Save State Corrupt - 5: calm vibes here, and i do like the ending, though the rest of the song is kind of boring. not bad!

Circular Bounce - Back to Back - 6: good jumpup-ish song, the mastering is great. i like the sound design too

Cyborg Cassowary - My Long Distance Love, Lua - 3: kind of boring tbh, though the melodies are nice. don't really have a lot to say tbh

Cyborg Cassowary - The Irish Tradition - 4: same as your other entry. rather uninteresting, though the climax is decent

DREADNOUGHT - petrolgirl - 6: my own track! my only personal issue with it is that i couldn't get it as loud as i wanted it to be. it's still like -3 short-term lufs during the drops, but it just isn't "biting" enough imo. i do like everything else though

Echo2 - Chill - 4: very chill as the title promises, and the sound design is kind of nostalgic. kind of repetitive though

Egor Vinogradov - Selitra - 3: interesting experimental song, though it is kind of stale, maybe some more reverb can help? unfortunately it just feels like it drones on and on

Elad Hen - Song 07 - 4: pretty uninteresting, though i do like the short violin solos and the choir

Extreem - Ethers - 5: cool little complextro song with nice sound design, though i feel like it has too much sidechain compression. that's all really

Extreem - bepis - 4: interesting song. i feel like it's too short, since it has some nice ideas

GrayLizard - BABBLE - 4: interesting sound design and cool use of the vocal filter, though the melody feels kind of chaotic. the song structure is a bit simplistic too

GrayLizard - GURGLE - 4: pretty much the same thoughts as babble

GreenPix & fuzion_mixer - Misty funk - 6: very calming trance song, the sound design and melodies are great, though maybe the mixing and mastering could be more intense to give it that oomph

Guggel - Brainfart - 2: way too short, though i do like the chords

Jan Koekepan - Passing Dream - 3: doesn't really have anything to offer. it's very short, and the composition is uninteresting

KTRNMusic - No More Summer For A Long Time - 5: cool oldschool house song, and i do like the spectravoice "brass", though it really suffers from poor mixing. maybe you should use compression and eqing to boost the highs and everything else more?

Kat Purpy - Electric Sheep Are Now Sleeping - 5: the vibes on this one are pretty, though it's a bit too quiet and minimalist for my taste

Kat Purpy - Totally Not A TWIN - 6: i like the feeling this has to offer! though the mixing is lacking as well. is the title a reference to aphex twin? this song certainly sounds like something rich would make. i'm on to you kat

Logickin - Mech Haven - 6: great synth-orchestral song! the melodies are very inspiring, and the sound design (ESPECIALLY that piano) is amazing! all it needs is some mastering to really make it shine!

Logickin - Superposition - 6: amazing eurotrance song! very similar thoughts as in mech haven, just work on that mastering

MonoBen - PoppinRumba - 5: funky rumba song. interesting use of noise and fire effects. don't have much to say on this one

NT - 603 - 3: cool melodic ideas, though the rest of the song isn't very engaging. perhaps you can add more instrumentation and some actual progression?

Nechtoinoe - Signal - 4: a minimal techno song that is a bit too minimal. also could use some much better mastering to make it louder

Obscure - Botch Laboratories - 4: calm little chiptune song. i do like the swells towards the middle and the march-like drum patterns, but the song as a whole is somewhat uninteresting and droning

Obscure - Melancholy - 5: i like the feeling here more than your other entry, and the composition is definitely much more interesting. maybe you could work on the mastering a little? it's surprisingly loud at -9.3 integrated lufs, and that's definitely a good thing

Osya - Electrolife - 4: don't have much to say on this song, maybe you can work on the loudness and composition? idk what else to say, this song isn't particularly interesting

Queries - Power Supply Flextronics - 4: intersting use of lfos, almost feels like a 50's musique concrete composition. of course, the novelty is all this song has going for it, it's not partucularly interesting either

RAGING COAST - '77 Fading Wave - 5: nice little song, very calming atmosphere. the sound design and composition are nice, though generally i don't think the song is very engaging. maybe work on the mastering?

RAGING COAST - Beatnik Breakbeat - 7: now this, this is awesome! very fast and industrial sounding, i imagine a massive steampunk mech, powered by cranks and gears all working rhythmically to the beat, decimating a victorian city. this is great, don't have anything negative to say!

RobloxFan75000 & KTRNMusic - Jam-O-Trone - 5: good! the sound design is nice, though the composition is sometimes uninteresting. also, perhaps you could have cranked up the master fx module to make everything louder? those are my suggestions

RobloxFan75000 - The Possibility - 6: i like the drops a lot! the songwriting is certainly better than in the other song. like as in your collab with kevin, maybe you can work on your mastering?

SawZer & Trackerbound - Satellite - 7: great fusion between complextro and dnb! you two certainly work well together. don't have anything negative to say really. the comments in the song file are funny too ^-^

SawZer - The Spaces Between - 6: great songwriting, especially in the beginning! the drops do feel somewhat quiet though, perhaps you could use more multiband compression/ott?

Seriy MLGamer - The forest mystery - 6: holy crap this is intense. love that. only thing i have to say is to work on the mixing, the drums are rather quiet, as well as the whole thing.

Seriy MLGamer - The voice of Sun - 5: cool house song! don't have much more to say, just work on the mixing and mastering

So_ingMachine - Some of our tracks cant be covered - 6: really interesting ambient song. love that synthetic sax. the driving beat is a cool idea, and it definitely worked here. it just needs some more loudness ^-^

Taneb - Shadowcasting sand valleys - 5: cool progressive dnb song, and i do like the beginning. don't have a lot to say about this, just work on the mastering

Trackerbound - identity theft - 6: great song! really love all the ideas this has, including the rapid arpeggiation and chiptune vibes. of course, it does sound distorted at certain parts, and this is with the "hehe xd" knob turned down (btw i love that knob)

ZEFFII - ALUVIAL - 6: pretty song, has a very beat-driven c418 vibe to it. could be louder as usual through compression and eqing, but everything else is great!

ZEFFII - ANGSTHAZEN - 5: not as interesting as the last song, though still good! my thoughts on the last one apply here

aaaaaaaa - aaaaaaaa - 3: amusing idea to name every module 'a', though this song doesn't have much else to offer

alobx - bassed - 3: not particularly interesting either. don't have anything to say

blint - SynthBirth - 3: are we on a streak here? above thoughts apply

donkerbot - Karen Does A Puzzle (Instrumentalish) - 4: pretty fun melodies and funny vocal samples, though not much else. work on the composition and mixing, perhaps?

fuzion_mixer - Angel's Touch (Radio Edit) - 6: great melodies and production, though it isn't very loud. perhaps you should work on that?

kiberaver - electric dreams - 7: amazing pumping feeling with this song, don't really have anything negative to say

konanpa - dependence - 4: interesting synthwave vibes, though not much else tbh. i'll say it again: needs more loudness!

manganoid - BOSS BATTLE - 6: intense! definitely puts a boss battle in my mind. the synthetic vocal effects are cool too! don't have much more to say

manganoid - Giddiup Horsie - 5: not as interesting as your other song, but still good! no comments

mk7 - My song 27 sep 2013 00.25 - 3: nothing to offer really. nothing to say either

mk7 - undead critters - 5: certainly an improvement, though it does suffer from a lack of mastering

oddDoll - Black Wallpaper - 4: cool dark ambient, the pulsing part is interesting, don't have much more to say

sk0 - Celestial - 7: amazing song! love the feeling this has! the mixing and sound design is superb, and the composition is immaculate! the loudness is freaking amazing too, i can feel all the sounds dancing in my headphones

sk0 - Mimosa - 7: great calm song! excellent example of how to master properly

skotina - i put off cigarettes by burning my skin - 5: good, though i feel like the drums should be much louder. everything else is decent though!

skotina - i woke up and screamed like no other night - 5: same thoughts apply as your other song.

sunlox - rebuilt - 1: interesting technically, though not good musically.
my website: https://acheney.xyz

it features my music, sunvox content, and social media links!
donkerbot

Post by donkerbot »

AutumnCheney wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:03 am donkerbot - Karen Does A Puzzle (Instrumentalish) - 4: pretty fun melodies and funny vocal samples, though not much else. work on the composition and mixing, perhaps?
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, we didn't have too much time to work on it, so it's ended up a bit rough. We're currently working on the vocals that had to be played by an instrument due to size limitations. Hopefully we'll have a better one next year :)
zeffii

Post by zeffii »

it will be an honour to lose against all of these tracks :) thank you everyone for something to study!
Extreem

Post by Extreem »

AutumnCheney wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:03 am Extreem - Ethers - 5: cool little complextro song with nice sound design, though i feel like it has too much sidechain compression. that's all really

Extreem - bepis - 4: interesting song. i feel like it's too short, since it has some nice ideas
Yeah, I didn't have much time to work on bepis in the first place, since there was this one deleted drum pattern that I wanted to add more to just to make it longer but never got the opportunity to because I was busy, even though I started working on it and Ethers two years ago, so there you go I guess. :unknown:
(Honestly my favorite part of the song is the lead)

But thanks for the feedback! bepis... i need it

(I also thought the buildup in Ethers was a bit bland, but you win some, you lose some ig :) )
EXT
kevintherobloxnoob

Post by kevintherobloxnoob »

AutumnCheney wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:03 am KTRNMusic - No More Summer For A Long Time - 5: cool oldschool house song, and i do like the spectravoice "brass", though it really suffers from poor mixing. maybe you should use compression and eqing to boost the highs and everything else more?
Well, I need to improve my mixing and EQ-ing skills, I'll maybe work on it sometime in the future when the next compo comes. :pardon: Anyways, Thanks for the nice review, Autumn. :good:
Using SunVox for like a year and still a beginner. :)

My SC:https://soundcloud.com/kevintherobloxnoob
My Audius:https://audius.co/kevintheroblox1
a1matt

Post by a1matt »

AutumnCheney wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:03 am A1 - I Can Make It - 6: very calm, i like the short chip synths and pads, and i especially like the bridge, with the pad chords and everything
Thankyou for taking the time to review everyone's songs.

I did a doubletake when I saw the rating you gave me as at first I thought it must be a typo. That and the review have given me a real confidence boost :beer:
Artinum

Post by Artinum »

donkerbot wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:28 am We have two short samples in our entry, compressed to OGG and using the Vorbis Player module to play them. Both samples are about 16kB in size, final zip file was 36kB.
Ahh, OGG files. Nice idea... must try to remember that for next year.

I'm looking forward to listening to these (no time tonight, alas, so probably at the weekend). I was particularly fond of "Wild Rocket" in the last(?) competition - your latest entry/ies should be good!
Artinum

Post by Artinum »

AutumnCheney wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:03 am Artinum - Laser Canon - 4: the polyphonic melodies and crab canon are cool, though the sound design is very basic and the overall song structure is kind of impenetrable. or maybe i just can't appreciate baroque-style music who knows

Artinum - Piano - 5: definitely has a much simpler and calmer melody than "Laser Canon", and this works in its favor. once again though, the sound design is basic and the song structure is a bit dense, perhaps you should add some more rests and silences to give the listener time to breathe?
You've scored me higher than I was expecting! :)

I am always in awe of the sounds that better Sunvoxers than I am can produce, but I'm hesitant to use any instruments that other people have created. It feels almost like cheating. Perhaps I overcompensate with more intensity? (I already have another, much gentler idea for next year; funny how these things always come to you after the fact...)
a1matt wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:32 pm Thankyou for taking the time to review everyone's songs.
I did a doubletake when I saw the rating you gave me as at first I thought it must be a typo. That and the review have given me a real confidence boost :beer:
Indeed. Many thanks, Autumn! I won't read the rest of your reviews just yet - I still need to rate all these tracks, and I don't want to prejudice myself.
Extreem

Post by Extreem »

I got somethin' for next compo
the song's pretty cool imo.

(the name is undefined :wink: :twisted: )
EXT
donkerbot

Post by donkerbot »

Artinum wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:04 am Ahh, OGG files. Nice idea... must try to remember that for next year.

I'm looking forward to listening to these (no time tonight, alas, so probably at the weekend). I was particularly fond of "Wild Rocket" in the last(?) competition - your latest entry/ies should be good!
Thanks! Ours was a bit rough this year, but the basics of the final song are there, we'll be releasing the full song in a few weeks hopefully.
sk0

Post by sk0 »

Finally I voted :)
AutumnCheney wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:03 am sk0 - Celestial - 7: amazing song! love the feeling this has! the mixing and sound design is superb, and the composition is immaculate! the loudness is freaking amazing too, i can feel all the sounds dancing in my headphones

sk0 - Mimosa - 7: great calm song! excellent example of how to master properly
Thank you very much for the feedback! Your comments on the other tracks are also helpful for my further creations!
Extreem

Post by Extreem »

2 days left and Im waitin'

meanwhile im making new modules
EXT