SunVox Compo 2019.03

NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: SunVox Compo 2019.03

Post by NightRadio »

When are the results? I think I converted the time wrong and missed the deadline
Don't worry, i accepted your works
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Thank you all for the great music!
Voting will begin in the next few days.
manganoid

Post by manganoid »

yeeey :) I can't wait to hear all the tracks :)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

SunVox Compo 2019.03 Voting Has Begun!
The last voting day is April 24.

Download the votepack (with player for Windows, Linux and macOS)
Rate the songs
manganoid

Post by manganoid »

Whaaaaaa, soooo maaaaanyyy awesome songs \o/ I'll be analyzing these tracks for months now :D awesome work guys :D
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

Dang, rating these over one another is gonna be tough. I've seen less than 20 of 50 so far, and there's already so much diversity in composition and presentation!

I take it we're all doing the ground-evening self-5 thing? All artists on the same page?

I don't really like to give harsh ratings to art of any kind, but I might have to turn my lower 3s into 1s and adjust everything above accordingly. Otherwise, my influence would probably just bring most things closer to 4. Several brief attempts to use RateYourMusic have resulted in almost every single thing I like getting a 4 or 4.5. :v

I want to try to base my own ratings around what I think is best for program demonstration, so for the highest ones, the main things I'm looking for are, broadly:

• Cool music, of course. Want new users to be inspired by what they're hearing. Preferably polished/decently mixed.
• Interesting sound design and module trickery. While SunVox is great for old-school tracker styles, and simple things can be beautiful and interesting (spiral corridor!), I feel like its potential for detail and novel experimentation deserves more representation.
• Organization/readability. Prefer default module colors or clearly coded ones, pattern coloring/labeling, connections kept more or less visible at a glance. Makes it easier to locate elements between the timeline and modules, analyze them, and learn from them.

Some fun and unconventional things are gonna fall behind this way, but that was always going to happen, so hopefully this just eases up some indecision…

I've been putting my first impression ratings in the filenames for now, plus an "i" whenever I see something cool.

How're you all approaching this?
manganoid

Post by manganoid »

All 5s :D
menthes

Post by menthes »

there are such a wide variety of styles and approaches on demo for this compo.

so many new techniques to explore and learn from yeah woo 8) imma groove on these cool tunes
E8_Heterotic

Post by E8_Heterotic »

Finally managed to listen to a review every song.
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

I've been overthinking my ratings and writing too many words about k̶e̶e̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶a̶r̶d̶s̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶h̶i̶g̶h̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶a̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶i̶d̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶r̶i̶e̶s̶ the two main trends that bothered me: impacted readability and simple sound design. The length is verging on unsightly, so I'm putting this on pastebin.

https://pastebin.com/mSQtZ5V0

All of what's through there said, I thought I'd be giving a 5 to myself, and then setting aside all concerns and bumping up maybe two 4s that I wouldn't mind seeing included to 5s. I bumped up nine 4s. Enjoy 'em cuz I need to move past this and leave the compilation contribution due by the end of the month as the loaded project. 8)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

SunVox Compo is over! Congratulations to all competitors!
Thank you very for the great music!
:beer: :beer: :Bravo: :good: :good:

The final rating:
1. Trackerbound - its over now : 150
2. Logickin Lambda - Soar Beyond : 148
3. Trackerbound - make a wish : 147
4. manganoid - Dash of Wind : 147
5. Beastcharmer - Dark Strings : 146
6. Kiberaver - Non Stop : 145
7. Trackerbound - shouganai : 145
8. Verum Corner - Blinded by hope : 145
9. Echo2 & Trackerbound & TANEB - bluesy : 143
10. Kiberaver - Infinity : 142
11. SawZer - Faster Than Light : 142
12. Echo's Dream Diary - Olibanum : 141
13. So_ing Machine - Bubble Blinders : 137
14. GreenPix - Stones : 136
15. Iedsi - The rhythm of neon lights : 136
16. AzZzX - OnuMan : 130
17. machine_catdotexe - Hazy Memories of Tomorrow : 130
18. manganoid - SEVDALINKA : 128
19. manganoid - YET AGAIN : 126
20. Elly_Loe - MoonDust : 125
21. Seriy MLGamer - Danger House : 124
22. Verum Corner - Contra : 123
23. RGNV - The native orbit : 122
24. Kiberaver - Monster Party (Mini Mix) : 121
25. NT - Game : 121
26. Персики В Меду - It's Raining All Week : 121
27. Keres - Madness Ascending : 119
28. LiamRowleyMusic - Admorsus : 118
29. SYBERIA - Glaza : 118
30. Echo2 - black desert flower : 117
31. Queries - Hands On Cans : 115
32. AzZzX - Cicada BBOI : 114
33. Legendario - BreathOfLife : 114
34. manganoid - Das Byzantinische Labyrinth : 113
35. Seriy MLGamer - MLG Dubstep : 111
36. Seriy MLGamer - MLG physics : 110
37. Seriy MLGamer - My best D&B : 110
38. Taisuke Hashimoto - spiral corridor : 110
39. menthes - hell needle : 110
40. panosk - orbit : 110
41. Karmagally - Ghotbvox : 109
42. Seriy MLGamer - SunVox mobile song : 107
43. Cyrill & Taneb - hama : 106
44. Seriy MLGamer - Simply Good Music (new drums) : 105
45. Seriy MLGamer - MLG House : 104
46. Seriy MLGamer - SunVox MLG : 104
47. sanya kogda vst : 82
48. E8 - Fantasia ex Machina : 79
49. sunlox - magic : 65
50. sunlox - unvox : 61

Tracks 1-4 will be included to the SunVox distrinbution!
For those participants who need promocodes (for any of my apps) - just email me nightradio@gmail.com

Votepack (compo entries + updated player with piano roll): http://warmplace.ru/compo/sunvox/2019.0 ... 019.03.zip
E8_Heterotic

Post by E8_Heterotic »

Oosh! Well, that was a bit painful. :oops:
menthes

Post by menthes »

re
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

E8_Heterotic wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:39 am Oosh! Well, that was a bit painful.
Yeah, ouch... was a little disheartening to see FeM that low. I'm guessing some people took (n≠12)TET as a personal attack upon their extended families. :V FWIW, I rated it 3, upper bound of that solid middle, lower bound 38th. I appreciate unorthodox limitation-pushy things, and thought the main rhythm and melodies were cool. However, accounting for both personal taste and demo suitability, the instruments sounded lacking in precise detail, and I was left wanting more variation in the non-melody patterns.

Realistically, if us weird ones want a shot at the top ranks in the future, I'm afraid we'll HAVE to subdue some of our personal tastes and focus on appealing to/not offending the listeners. Which I suck at. I've tried. Bubble Blinders actually started as a little brain-cleansing doodle after failing to start a "proper" entry, but I liked it enough that I had to see it through to completion during comp time. so. I just hoped everyone would spontaneously develop a taste for all it had that could put them off. 8) (Which, off the top of my head, would be… slow intro, overall soft/"sad" atmosphere, weird key crossovers, odd/ignored time signature, beatlessness, some harsh/dissonant sounds, and potentially ugly RNG. If there's anything else I should be aware of, let me know! SO THAT NEXT TIME I CAN PLAY YOU LIKE A FIDDI can't play the fiddle.)

I mean, 13th out of 50 is hard to complain about (it's next to Olibanum, which might end up being the other entry I listen to most), it's just… I know it's the stuff I love that cost it a few ranks. but then again, I knocked points off for things that I assume other people loved just as much, to the point that I felt guilty and tossed out my minimum perfect score criteria. Rating music is already hard, but attaching the project file adds a whole new dimension of difficulty.

Two things I rated 5 tied with things I rated 1 (actually mostly low 3s), so that's something. (One of those 5s was yours, menthes! Couldn't resist tossing one to some straight rockin' shmuppy stuff, plus having the entire song autoscroll was fun.)

~~~~~

Double-congrats to Trackerbound, winner of the new car!¹

I relocated an early doodly version of "it's over now"'s project file that I remembered checking out, shared on the SunVox Music Discord in January 2018. It's kinda cool to be able to compare the core to its much longer, cleaner, differently-organized, better-produced released form. Is the title in reference to the relief of finally putting it out?

Speaking of relevant titles, I preferred "make a wish" over "it's over now" by (insert non-insulting but significant amount), and ended up giving it one of my last minute bonus points... which evidently became a significant factor in a third place tie. Wish granted!

¹ The visualizer may produce something that looks vaguely like a car at some point. That's close enough, right?

~~~~~

After starting this post, I took a closer look at the Fantasia ex Machina file. Then I played with module parameters. Then I kept adding modules and played with a bunch of module parameters. Then I poked patterns a little bit too.

So uhhh as a consolation prize, have an impromptu edit?
Attachments
QUICK SO_ING MACHINE EDIT of E8 - Fantasia ex Machina.sunvox.zip
(25.29 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Trackerbound

Post by Trackerbound »

Double-congrats to Trackerbound, winner of the new car!
y'all mind if i honk
Is the title in reference to the relief of finally putting it out?
Maybe it is, i don't know TBH.
Wish granted!
:roll:
After starting this post, I took a closer look at the Fantasia ex Machina file. Then I played with module parameters. Then I kept adding modules and played with a bunch of module parameters. Then I poked patterns a little bit too.
Nice drums!