SunVox Compo 2015.10

samrai katt kovboy

Re: SunVox Compo 2015.10

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

The SunVox file is now at 80 kb... After trying to get it down to 64 kb and only getting to 70 kb I gave up and now will just work on the song without limitations. But it would be interesting to know what modules take more space...I thought it was reverbs and used pretty much vibrations but it seems they are not responsible.Used some Filter Pro modules but they do not take more than a KB or so... Used only Analog Generators and Generator (basic).
But one thing that I did is record midi directly with midi keyboard but it seems strange that it would add to the file?

In either case maybe try to do one more song with an even minimal structure... Did not have any problems when doing the contest with only FM modules and was using a fair amount of effects.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
geckojsc

Post by geckojsc »

But surely when zipped it is smaller than 64k? That's all that matters.

But anyway, most modules don't add a significant amount to filesize! You just gotta watch out for samplers. Trim your samples, convert to mono, resample them to get the same audio at a lower sample-rate.

Remember most modules are just a collection of parameters. Modules with many parameters (spectravoice, analog gen) might take up more space, but it's just a small difference.

Optimising your patterns (remove duplicates etc.) is probably more effective than worrying about module arrangements.

If you want any tips come along to the #sunvox channel on irc.esper.net, we're happy to help. :) I'll be home in like an hour or so
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

Okay I am a little bit in a confused mental state most of the time and I realize that after reading again that it is the Zipped file that counts!
So there is of course no problems.
Thanks for the replies and see you at voting time.
The zipped file is not even at 6 kb...
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
squidmissile

Post by squidmissile »

Pushing the sunvox filesize down is pretty much all in pattern optimization and song arrangement. Using only synths it actually takes some work to reach just 1mb. Pattern data accounts most of the filesize. More original (or copied) patterns means more data stored. The song arrangement itself is probably stored in a list of variable size too... But that probably only takes up the same amount of space as a module itself...

Geckojsc really covered it all but i just wanted to place more emphasis on how much space pattern data takes up in the sunvox source files. There is actually quite a bit of room for sample play.
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

Hello NR I am just wondering if you'll include a neat visualizer in the votepack like you did last time. If so I've got a little extra work to do :P
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Hello NR I am just wondering if you'll include a neat visualizer in the votepack like you did last time
Yes! :) Votepack will be with the same (or slightly improved) visualizer :)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

The votepack will be released as soon as possible! :)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

geckojsc

Post by geckojsc »

Oh my goodness, so many entries!
cycletronic wrote:Maybe just add instructions that everyone SHOULD vote 5/5 for their own submission, that way it's certain. And if they don't read the instructions and rate their own song, then it's their own fault.
I suppose this is the way to go :)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

I suppose this is the way to go :)
Exactly! :)
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

Congratulations to all the competitors. There is some magnificent music in here.

It's also a testament to NightRadio's work, that makes it possible in less than 64KB zipped.
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

I only just noticed that one of my named module in my submission has a typo. See, I was giving credit to the authors of the metamodules I used and accidentally typed "Goilzad's Exciter". How embarrassing... :pardon:
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

I only just noticed that one of my named module in my submission has a typo. See, I was giving credit to the authors of the metamodules I used and accidentally typed "Goilzad's Exciter".
Fixed now :)
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

NightRadio wrote:
I only just noticed that one of my named module in my submission has a typo. See, I was giving credit to the authors of the metamodules I used and accidentally typed "Goilzad's Exciter".
Fixed now :)
Haha you are the best!
Didas_94

Post by Didas_94 »

Hi,

very nice sunvox player, it's possible to use it for any modules?