1st Sunvox Touch Theremin Contest! Entries due October 25th

nopcorp

1st Sunvox Touch Theremin Contest! Entries due October 25th

Post by nopcorp »

Hi everybody, I'm excited to host the first ever Sunvox Theremin Contest! :Yahoo!: Fellow Sunvox user, samrai katt kovboy has also posted the contest on Musicial Android http://www.musicalandroid.com/1/post/20 ... unced.html

ok, here we go... :beer:

RULES: MUST be created on a touch device. It can be a lo-tech such as a Pocket PC, or a hi-tech device such as Tablet or Ipad.

The CONTEST will be divided into THREE categories:

1) lo-tech devices competing against each other.
2) hi-tech devices competing against each other.
3) all devices competing together!

SUNVOX REQUIREMENTS:

- a TOUCH device such as a tablet, Ipad, Android, or pocket Pc.
- A sunvox file that includes at least one GEN; but you can have a maximum of four GENS.
- Automation and Programming is allowed, though be creative and use your touch device to create with.
- Use as many effects as you like.
- Use as many patterns and channels necessary.
- There is no minimum or maximum length of composition.
- Drumsynth not allowed.
- No samplers.

WHAT and WHERE TO ENTER:

Entries can either be a download link, or a zip/rar emailed to onlycrumbs@gmail.com.
Send both, a sunvox file, and an exported version (minimum 320kbps.)

DATES TO REMEMBER:

- All entries DUE October 25th, no later than the 26th.
- On the 27th a link with, ALL contestants entries, will be provided for download.
- One vote per category. You cannot vote on your own entry. Votes must be emailed by October 30th.

AND THE WINNER IS...

Winners will be announced October 31st. Halloween! Perfect day for a Theremin. :crazy:
Remember, this competition is about the Touch Theremin and its amazing capabilities as a performance tool, but also how it can be used within Sunvox.

If you have any comments, questions or suggestions, please share.
Good Luck!
Last edited by nopcorp on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:30 am, edited 16 times in total.
menthes

Re: 1st Sunvox Touch Theremin Contest!

Post by menthes »

nopcorp wrote:- use as many effects, eqs, etc., as you like.
- No multitrack theremins.
Can the effects be programmed/automated into multiple channels?
samrai katt kovboy

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

If you have an address for people to send their contributions too, I will post the contest on Musical Android...
musicalandroid.com
Would also say that one sound generator is slightly limiting... Maybe at least four would be cool...
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
nopcorp

Post by nopcorp »

menthes wrote:
nopcorp wrote:- use as many effects, eqs, etc., as you like.
- No multitrack theremins.
Can the effects be programmed/automated into multiple channels?
Well, I thought it would take from the necessary skill of playing the theremin; in this case the virtuosity of one's finger, stylus, or tongue :).
But, we are in a world of trackers, so sure why not! But, do you see where I'm coming from? The desire to keep the performance more of the focus?
samrai katt kovboy wrote:If you have an address for people to send their contributions too, I will post the contest on Musical Android...
musicalandroid.com
Would also say that one sound generator is slightly limiting... Maybe at least four would be cool...
onlycrumbs at gmail dot com, will be fine.
Also, regarding the use of one GEN limiting. But, don't you think that's "truer" to what a Theremin is capable of doing?
And, when you say four, do you mean: a MULTISYNTH with four GENS attached? Or, four separate GENS being performed separately?
samrai katt kovboy

Think that it would show of more of the capabilities with for example four theremin instruments. Yes it is true that it would be less true but it would be more fun to do the music and more fun to listen to and suddenly you can show off all the expressive qualities in one go. Especially as it would be an organic entity as a composition with its interactions etc...
Maybe with one it would also be dismissed by people that will only hear one instrument think that it is just another theremin application...
Also it is a contest so it would be extra bonus points if something pulls of something stunning with just one instrument instead of using for example four... Yes four should probably be the maximum as each voice would still be distinguishable.
In either case it is an interesting proposition as the theremin instrument is a hidden gem and always felt that just this aspect of SunVox could be standalone!
Whatever gets decided on think that soon must do a "string" quartet with just the theremin!!!
nopcorp

Post by nopcorp »

Ok...sounds good. 4 maximum GENS allowed. And MULTISYNTH allowed.
Also, programmed and automated effects allowed.

I'll update the 1st post.

nopcorp
samrai katt kovboy

Re: 1st Sunvox Touch Theremin Contest! Entries due October 2

Okay cool IT IS ON!!!
Will post about the contest and also do a write up regarding the theremin in SunVox the next couple of days on musicalandroid.com and hopefully there will be some interest in this!
If you do not mind it would be nice if we could do a small collaboration if you put in the declaration that if the participants want to they would get their contributions posted on Musical Android while the contest goes on with webaddress to their other music- soundcloud etc... as maybe that would give people some incentive as there is about 800 visits daily to Musical Android... Independent on what platform that got used as it is more or less the same on every platform... So it does not matter if it is on Android or not.
Please say yes...
Of course there is no hard feelings if you say no either.
Feel excited about having this occasion to delve deeper into this way of composing so happy for the incentive!
nopcorp

Post by nopcorp »

Most definitely, yes. Great ideas. How should i word it?
samrai katt kovboy

hmm...
Will write the post tomorrow probably---
Will say that Musical Android will collaborate with you and that if the contestants are willing will post their contributions and links to their other music websites during the contest on the website...
So I guess you would have to send me the music or links to the music after you get it and the name of the artist and so forth.
You can send it to musicalandroid@yahoo.com

Well maybe we should continue this conversation over email?

Speak to you soon and hopefully there will be more than two contestants! ( You and me... ha ha ).
nopcorp

Post by nopcorp »

Haha...right!

I'll update the first, so the musicalandroid info is also in the first post. Yea, I think others will jump in. :)
r4c7

Post by r4c7 »

Analog Generators? Then I may whip up something, but it is either gonna be small or parts of a big improv jam.
nopcorp

Post by nopcorp »

r4c7 wrote:Analog Generators? Then I may whip up something, but it is either gonna be small or parts of a big improv jam.
That's a great idea, r4c7.