SDCompo now accepting Sunvox entries starting February!

organic io

SDCompo now accepting Sunvox entries starting February!

Post by organic io »

Exciting news!

I have recently become primary administrator on the long running Soundevotion Competition (SDCompo), which hosts a monthly tracking competition. After some discussion and deliberation, I have decided to start opening the compo up to more formats, including Sunvox!

One caveat, however, is that Sunvox's internal synthesis is not currently allowed in the compo. This is in order to level the playing field because very few other trackers have this feature. (Buzz being one of the few, and internal synthesis in it has been not allowed since the beginning)

The rule pertaining to this looks something like this:
(Limited tracker features only)
Sunvox entries: At this time, not all Sunvox synths/modules are allowed because they are not standard among all trackers. This decision may be reevaluated in the future. The following Sunvox internal modules are not allowed: Drumsynth, FM, Generator, Kicker, Spectravoice, Loop, Vocal Filter, Modulator, and Vibrato. Any Sunvox file using these synths/effects will be disqualified. Please use the sampler or vorbis player to load the SDcompo samples.
So if you are interested in participating, come on down to http://www.sdcompo.com/

The next round will be starting shortly around February 4th. At this time, you can login to the SDcompo site, download the samplepack (instrument sounds) and get started!

To get an idea the history of the compo, check out Remixta episode 12, which Cly/Suva graciously hosted and features me and him discussing and playing some of the best songs which have been entered over the years:
http://remixta.net/2011/04/remixta-12-s ... n-special/
CoolGreenApple

Re: SDCompo now accepting Sunvox entries starting February!

Post by CoolGreenApple »

This looks pretty darn neat. So it would be Sampler modules+effects only? Or would the effect modules be allowed too?
organic io

Post by organic io »

CoolGreenApple wrote:This looks pretty darn neat. So it would be Sampler modules+effects only? Or would the effect modules be allowed too?
Any effects not listed in the banned modules are perfectly fine. For example: EQ, echo, reverb, delay, distortion, flange, etc.... These are pretty much standard effects that most software has.
organic io

Post by organic io »

Round 65 has now begun!

There's a rather large samplepack with lots of acoustic instrument samples this round. Not typical of the SDcompo, but it should be an interesting challenge for Sunvox users. :) It will be interesting to see what people come up with.

http://www.sdcompo.com/samplepack.php <--- The samplepack can be downloaded here. Just register & login and you can download the samplepack and get to tracking!

Don't forget to read the rules page as well -- http://www.sdcompo.com/rules.php

I hope so see some of you there!
CoolGreenApple

Post by CoolGreenApple »

I don't know if I'll enter anything, but I'll definitely play around with the samplepack.
organic io

Post by organic io »

CoolGreenApple wrote:I don't know if I'll enter anything, but I'll definitely play around with the samplepack.
Cool. And you're welcome to download any previous round's samplepack if you just need some instruments for tracking. Just make sure to only use round 65 samples if you enter round 65... Which I hope you do.
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

Are we allowed to use any sunvox instruments? (the ones that are loadable for the sampler)
CoolGreenApple

Post by CoolGreenApple »

I've been working on a little song with the samples and it's coming along pretty well. I'll most likely submit this cute little guy. Thanks for the info, organic io.

And The Handle, I think we are only allowed to use samples from the samplepack on the website this round.
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

K, was just makin sure. Mine will be VERY interesting then....... :wink:
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

Is there a limitation to the number of samplers and modules I use? Didn't see it in the rules but figured I'd ask.
CoolGreenApple

Post by CoolGreenApple »

It doesn't look like it to me. There's just the filesize limit of 20 million bytes it seems.
organic io

Post by organic io »

CoolGreenApple wrote:It doesn't look like it to me. There's just the filesize limit of 20 million bytes it seems.
That's correct. No limit, except your imagination (and perhaps CPU) :D

You can also use vocal samples as well if you wish. These don't necessarily have to be recorded by yourself, as long as you have legal clearance to use them -- i.e. words, phrases, or you can sing an entire vocal track for your song.

Really glad to see you guys are participating. Can't wait to hear your songs! I'm also working on a little something as well.
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

My contribution....heh ;)
It's all distorted percussion except for the guitar sample and the sax sample....I am a dangerous man with sampler, reverb, and distortion modules >:)

http://soundcloud.com/the-handle/swamp- ... uins-ep-on
organic io

Post by organic io »

I haven't listened to this yet and probably won't until the deadline. Typically people don't post their songs publically before the deadline... But I guess you can if you want, there's nothing currently in the rules prohibiting it.

Looking forward to hearing it though.
CoolGreenApple

Post by CoolGreenApple »

I won't dare to post mine because as soon as I do that I will immediately think of some minor detail I want to change and then I will be most depressed.