About some competition

Nak-Ed

About some competition

Post by Nak-Ed »

Can i make some competition on sunvox will be on dubstep and Drum n Bass
beefinator

Re: About some competition

Post by beefinator »

I don't think we should have compo's centered on any one genre. I think that while it is good to somehow limit things and force people to be clever and think in different ways than usual, like in the box10 and the minimalist compos, it's not good to restrict a compo to certain styles of music. Some people aren't good at making, or simply don't like, certain genres of music.
Soundcloud page
Second Soundcloud page (ran out of minutes, I post new stuff here)
Youtube channel
First ever Sunvox Compo Winner :)
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

I think a dubstep/dnb competition would be awesome. There would definitely be some interest, as I've seen a lot of members posting dnb in the sunvox group lately :D
Naked

Post by Naked »

or competition only from samples
beefinator

Post by beefinator »

I like the idea of a sample-only compo, it would basically be just like many other trackers. So it'd be all about the music composition, not the synth making. That's be interesting.
Soundcloud page
Second Soundcloud page (ran out of minutes, I post new stuff here)
Youtube channel
First ever Sunvox Compo Winner :)
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

Naked wrote:or competition only from samples
I would LOVE that! :beer:
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

The Handle wrote:
Naked wrote:or competition only from samples
I would LOVE that! :beer:
Yeah, I think that I would want to try that - that's how old trackers really worked. I don't think anything was dynamically synthesized in the tracker - everything was samples that you loaded in.
organic io

Post by organic io »

I was actually planning on running one of my upcoming compos as samples only. It still wouldn't be purely about music composition, because there is still sound shaping to be done with effects. You can make a great sounding snare sample sound terrible with a crap effects chain.. Or a mediocre 808 snare sample sound awesome with good effects processing. Not to mention mixing which is important for any music recording anywhere, regardless of tools used.

I think a genre-oriented compo is a good idea too though. Some people do like to do this and I'm sure enough interest could be garnered.

We are getting a bit fragmented with all the sudden interest in different people running compos though. SawZer and I have already agreed to coordinate together and alternate between my "official" compos which include samples and his no-sample compos (BOX10, or however you want to set the rules Justin). Handle is running his at the same time as ours.

I think SawZer and I would be agreeable to changing dates to coordinate with other compos if they are organized well enough.
Alternately, I personally would be willing to take suggestions for theme ideas or restrictions which could be used in my "official" compos.

So any upcoming compos can either be: run independently, coordinated with mine & SawZer's, or merged with mine and SawZer's.

But to answer your original question Nak-Ed, of course you can have a compo like that. It is up to you how you want to run it though. If you want to organize it and run it at the same time as ours, that is fine with me, but just beware that entries may be lower for each compo due to people just choosing one or the other, or not having enough time to make a song for both.

Since there is so much compo interest around here, it may even be a good idea to make an official thread with a schedule of upcoming compos and dates to make it easier to schedule and coordinate, and easier for those who are interested in participating so they can figure out which ones to enter. I can work on this once I get back to town next week.

Peace all
-Scott
Last edited by organic io on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
organic io

Post by organic io »

SolarLune wrote: Yeah, I think that I would want to try that - that's how old trackers really worked. I don't think anything was dynamically synthesized in the tracker - everything was samples that you loaded in.
Most of them were sample based, but not always. There were some FM-synthesis (adlib) trackers for PC, and I believe some of the Amiga trackers had the option of using samples or the onboard synth. There are also trackers for older computers such as Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, etc, that didn't even have enough memory to load samples, so they were all synthesized as well. This is using the computer's internal sound chip hardware which was used for example to play the music in games. True "chip tunes" because the songs were being played through a hardware chip. Sunvox's generators on the other hand are "software synths" -- Since the program is cross-platform, there is no dedicated hardware for Nightradio to code for. (And because there can be vast differences of hardware even on the same platform, for example different soundcards in Windows)

There are trackers for C64 as well, although they didn't come out until later on. The first tracker style program was actually on Amiga... So it's not like people were using a tracker on C64 back in 1985 :) They had different tools for composing music for games which were probably more akin to hand-coding the notes.
There's even a tracker for NES that runs on NES called NTRQ... Really cool, I wish I had that on a cartridge back in 1988!!!

Although the majority of the modules from the early tracking era were sample based. And of course the ones that did use synthesis -- the synthesis wasn't as powerful as it is on Sunvox, not as much options for sound shaping, and no effects chains. Standard tracker effects were all you got :D
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

organic io wrote:....Since there is so much compo interest around here, it may even be a good idea to make an official thread with a schedule of upcoming compos and dates to make it easier to schedule and coordinate, and easier for those who are interested in participating so they can figure out which ones to enter. I can work on this once I get back to town next week.
Why not go one step further and ask Nightradio to make a subforum for it? Would make the software forums less cluttered and would concentrate it all into one place. Everything would be more organized and it would also attract some attention with the new forums :good:
Could also put a rules thread in there for creating/managing official comps (ones that coordinate with others. Unofficial comps should be managed and run by the individual(s) who created them)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

ask Nightradio to make a subforum for it
ok :)
viewforum.php?f=10