Minimalist SunVox Competition

The Handle

Re: Minimalist SunVox Competition?

Post by The Handle »

Anyway, for anyone that is interested in the actual competition, you can start making your tracks as soon as you'd like. The deadline will be sometime in January, probably something like the 27th. I know how hectic the hollidays can get, so if you feel like that date is too early for the deadline, send me a pm and we can always push it back :).

Also, I've decided to allow one sampler again, for those of you that would like to use different percussion or other samples :)
(If you need a refresher on the rules, refer to the first post on the first page of this thread)
The Handle

Re: Minimalist SunVox Competition

Post by The Handle »

Update: Submission date has been changed to January 14th :)
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

Just a reminder that tomorrow is the deadline for your tracks! Post a link/download for your track and please include a download of the sunvox file as well (this will allow me to see how many modules/channels you've used). You can post them on this thread at any time tomorrow!
beefinator

Post by beefinator »

Ah crap, I lost track of this. I'll really have to work to finish up my minimal track (it's still technically 2 bit audio, just not by the typical logarithmic audio scale. I.E. it is 2 pulse waves that are each at constant velocities, though the constant velocity of one is lower than the other.)

2 square waves, 2 tracks, 2 bit audio.
Soundcloud page
Second Soundcloud page (ran out of minutes, I post new stuff here)
Youtube channel
First ever Sunvox Compo Winner :)
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

I suppose I could change the deadline if people feel they need more time, but if I remember correctly a few people are waiting for this competition to be finished so they can start theirs. I also know some people don't visit the forums often, so I may extend it back to its original deadline, we'll see how it goes.
beefinator

Post by beefinator »

Nah, I'm not saying I'd like more time, it's my fault that I haven't worked on it for like a month.

Keep the deadline how it is, if I don't make it, whatever.
Soundcloud page
Youtube channel
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

beefinator wrote:Nah, I'm not saying I'd like more time, it's my fault that I haven't worked on it for like a month.

Keep the deadline how it is, if I don't make it, whatever.
I appreciate your honesty, but I know that there are some that might have missed the post. It's all just for fun anyway, if there aren't enough (I consider at least 3-5 to be enough) then at least we all learned some new techniques :)
geckojsc

Post by geckojsc »

Well, here's my entry!
http://soundcloud.com/geckojsc/mantle
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11403463/Music/ ... tle.sunvox (sunvox file)
It'll probably get a hefty penalty against it for using 28 modules... Hope you guys enjoy!
beefinator

Post by beefinator »

Alright, here it is, I got around to finishing it.

http://soundcloud.com/beefinator-2/bits ... ces-sunvox
BTW this is my new soundcloud page, I ran out of minutes on my old one.
AAAAAHHHH I realized the Soundcloud compression aliasing wreaked havoc on the audio, download and listen for the correct quality.

Sunvox file is attached to this post, .wav can be downloaded from Soundcloud. (N.B. the soundcloud download file has an incorrect name, rename it to "Bits and pieces.wav" for correct title, the name now is "minimal.wav")
bits and pieces.zip
Sunvox file
(11.79 KiB) Downloaded 759 times
Soundcloud page
Youtube channel
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

beefinator I have to say the use of arpeggios to make a snare was interesting, but I was disappointed with how you used the other effects. I was hoping you would try something a little more complex than interpolating the square's pulse width and changing the melody D:

I honestly enjoyed geckojsc's track much more. The way he used echos and amplifiers to create some of the patterns was brilliant. He didn't even change the number of ticks from 6, and he didn't radically change the bpm to get more control over it.

I know a few others were working on tracks, so I may wait a bit for them. Otherwise I think this competition should have two winners: beefinator for the lowest number of points (# of modules + # of channels), and geckojsc for the impressive amount of creativity and complexity shown in his track.
beefinator

Post by beefinator »

Yeah, I had thought of some ways things could be made more complex and interesting, since this had been started a few months ago, but I never got around to trying them out, and I kind of liked the style of the so far at that point. It's not as interesting as it could be , but overall I'm satisfied with it.

I think that next I'll try a 1 generator song, nothing else. Maybe I'll allow myself to change the waveform, if I'm feeling generous. :)
Edit: I started that 1 generator song. It would be 2 points, 1 generator and 1 track. But I did allow myself polyphony, different waveforms, and varying velocity. So it's kinda like the one you made a while ago, Handle.
Soundcloud page
Youtube channel
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

beefinator wrote:I think that next I'll try a 1 generator song, nothing else. Maybe I'll allow myself to change the waveform, if I'm feeling generous. :)
Edit: I started that 1 generator song. It would be 2 points, 1 generator and 1 track. But I did allow myself polyphony, different waveforms, and varying velocity. So it's kinda like the one you made a while ago, Handle.
Cool! Can't wait to hear it! :D

Also, it looks like there are no other entries for this competition, so the winners are as I announced them earlier in this thread:
"...I think this competition should have two winners: beefinator for the lowest number of points (# of modules + # of channels), and geckojsc for the impressive amount of creativity and complexity shown in his track."

Side Note: I might turn this competition into a bi-monthly kinda thing, it was pretty fun and entertaining :)
beefinator

Post by beefinator »

Yeah, it would be cool to do this more often. Maybe then more people would know about it and enter. :)
Soundcloud page
Youtube channel