Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

organic io
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 am
Location: USA - North Carolina
Contact:

Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by organic io » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Let's get this thing kicked off!

The tracking deadline is Monday, October 31 at 11:59PM EST (GMT -5). (1 minute before Midnight on Halloween)

Now for the official stuff:

Tracking Rules:

1) Download the samplepack here --> http://www.filedropper.com/sunvox-compo1-samplepack_1
It is a collection of samples (instruments and percussion sounds) which can be used in your song.

2) Use Sunvox to write an original song of any style (no covers or remixes). The song itself can be any length.

3) You can use the samplepack as well as Sunvox's internal generators.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submission guidelines:

1) Once you have completed tracking, compress your .sunvox file with RAR or ZIP. Upload the file to your own webspace, and send me a Private Message with a link to the song and the song's title before the deadline. Alternately you can email your links to me at: organicio (at) gmail (dot) com , or send me a message on Soundcloud (my Soundcloud profile is here --> http://soundcloud.com/organic-io ). If you don't have your own webspace, you can use free file hosting such as filedropper or rapidshare . As long as there's a way to download your file.

2) When you PM/email me your song link, please also specify what platform you wrote the song on (Windows, iOS, palm, etc)... (See number 3 below in miscellaneous for the reasoning behind this)

3) Rendered mp3 of your file is no longer required, but you are still encouraged to share on Soundcloud AFTER the deadline. I will be rendering all .sunvox files to WAV and putting them up on Bandcamp after the deadline.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Voting guidelines:

1) Once the deadline is over and entries are received, I will post a link to all the songs in this forum thread (A "link votepack")

2) Download all the songs and listen to them. Use your own criteria for judgment, i.e. theme, melody, production skill, etc

3) Send me a private message with your top 5 votes. (1 being your favorite, 2 being your next favorite, and so on)

4) No voting for yourself.

5) Voting is required for final placement. For example: even if you received more votes than anyone else, if you didn't cast a vote, you won't get first place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miscellaneous:

1) Once the voting period ends (It will be about a week), results will be tallied and winners will be announced.

2) Comments, song feedback, constructive criticism, and good natured smack-talk are all welcome in the forum thread.

3) If you are listening to .sunvox files on a mobile platform (such as Palm), please take into consideration number 2 above in the submission guidelines. For example if someone wrote their song in Windows and used a bunch of reverbs and delays, it might choke the CPU on your Palm... So it may be necessary to listen to the .sunvox file on your PC, or listen to the mp3.

4) HAVE FUN!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any questions or suggestions, please don't hestitate to let me know!
Last edited by organic io on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

organic io
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 am
Location: USA - North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by organic io » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:20 pm

I'm also probably going to create a Soundcloud group specifically for the competition songs, around the time of the submission deadline. This will give us all a convenient and common place to comment on each others' songs. You can of course comment on the forums here too.

I'd also encourage you to not put the song on Soundcloud until AFTER the deadline, that way people aren't hearing your song before they have a chance to hear anyone else's too.

Good luck to everyone!

User avatar
SawZer
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Texas

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by SawZer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:46 pm

:shock: Oh please tell me handrawn samples are allowed. I made this amazing synth and I don't want to give it up. Well, actually, it IS sawtooth-ish, but still, I lurv that synth! :cry:
Creator of the BOX10SVC

organic io
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 am
Location: USA - North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by organic io » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:13 am

ChippyMunk wrote::shock: Oh please tell me handrawn samples are allowed. I made this amazing synth and I don't want to give it up. Well, actually, it IS sawtooth-ish, but still, I lurv that synth! :cry:
Is that through one of the Sunvox modules? If so, it's perfectly fine. I actually haven't used Sunvox much yet so I don't know all the Sunvox-specific terminology very well yet.

User avatar
SawZer
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Texas

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by SawZer » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:01 am

organic io wrote:
ChippyMunk wrote::shock: Oh please tell me handrawn samples are allowed. I made this amazing synth and I don't want to give it up. Well, actually, it IS sawtooth-ish, but still, I lurv that synth! :cry:
Is that through one of the Sunvox modules? If so, it's perfectly fine. I actually haven't used Sunvox much yet so I don't know all the Sunvox-specific terminology very well yet.
Thanx man! Btw almost done composing, next im on to the modulation :)
Creator of the BOX10SVC

User avatar
NightRadio
Site Admin
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:28 am
Location: Ekaterinburg. Russia
Contact:

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by NightRadio » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:03 am

Yeah, it's great!

Three suggestions.
1) Please remove "No external plugins allowed" rule. Because SunVox can't load external plugins now :)
2) How about Email as alternative way to contact with you? Because only registered users can post private messages.
3) Users also can give the links to private songs on SoundCloud instead of links to mp3. In some cases it is more convenient, as i think.

organic io
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 am
Location: USA - North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by organic io » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:39 pm

NightRadio wrote:Yeah, it's great!

Three suggestions.
1) Please remove "No external plugins allowed" rule. Because SunVox can't load external plugins now :)
2) How about Email as alternative way to contact with you? Because only registered users can post private messages.
OK, I updated the rules to reflect these changes. Added Soundcloud as another way to contact me as well.

NightRadio wrote: 3) Users also can give the links to private songs on SoundCloud instead of links to mp3. In some cases it is more convenient, as i think.
I'm not sure how this would work...? Since everyone will need to be able to access the mp3s after the deadline (not just me).
I guess it would work to upload the song as private, share it with me only, and then set it to public after the tracking deadline is over. Nightradio, what do you think ???

User avatar
NightRadio
Site Admin
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:28 am
Location: Ekaterinburg. Russia
Contact:

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by NightRadio » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:26 pm

I'm not sure how this would work...? Since everyone will need to be able to access the mp3s after the deadline (not just me).
I guess it would work to upload the song as private, share it with me only, and then set it to public after the tracking deadline is over. Nightradio, what do you think ???
Hm... Now i'm not sure too :)
I just worried about where the mp3 files will be stored after deadline? Or may be you want to download them all and make votepack with sources and mp3s in one archive? How about just *.sunvox files in votepack, without mp3s? :) By analogy with classic tracker-music compos

organic io
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 am
Location: USA - North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by organic io » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:44 pm

NightRadio wrote:Hm... Now i'm not sure too :)
I just worried about where the mp3 files will be stored after deadline? Or may be you want to download them all and make votepack with sources and mp3s in one archive? How about just *.sunvox files in votepack, without mp3s? :) By analogy with classic tracker-music compos
We could set up a folder on the internet archive to store the mp3s (permanently)... How about that?

A votepack of .sunvox files sounds good as well. Very oldschool :)

User avatar
NightRadio
Site Admin
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:28 am
Location: Ekaterinburg. Russia
Contact:

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by NightRadio » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:25 pm

We could set up a folder on the internet archive to store the mp3s (permanently)... How about that?
Yeah, i think this may be a good variant.

But also i'm not sure that we should require mp3-versions from competitors :) It is not a problem to make mp3 from *.sunvox source. I can make it for you if needed :)

User avatar
SawZer
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Texas

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by SawZer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:44 pm

In order to convert sunvox songs into mp3:
-click on the wrench
-click "Export/Import"
-click "Export to WAV"
-choose the bitrate, and select "mode: one file"
-choose the destination and filename (Desktop is recomended for destination)
-Use a program such as LAMEDrop or Audacity to convert to mp3 (I recomend LAMEDrop - Its quicker, does not require an install, and you do not need to find 'LAMEenc.dll')

BTW IMO you need upload all the songs to bandcamp as a free album (you need WAV though) 8)
Creator of the BOX10SVC

organic io
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 am
Location: USA - North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by organic io » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:57 pm

NightRadio wrote:But also i'm not sure that we should require mp3-versions from competitors :) It is not a problem to make mp3 from *.sunvox source. I can make it for you if needed :)
ChippyMunk wrote:BTW IMO you need upload all the songs to bandcamp as a free album (you need WAV though) 8)
OK, between the two of you, you have convinced me of what we need to do...

No mp3's required... I will render all .sunvox files to WAV and put them on bandcamp! (I'll probably do flac just to reduce upload times)

Editing rules now.

User avatar
SawZer
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Texas

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by SawZer » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:15 am

organic io wrote:
NightRadio wrote:But also i'm not sure that we should require mp3-versions from competitors :) It is not a problem to make mp3 from *.sunvox source. I can make it for you if needed :)
ChippyMunk wrote:BTW IMO you need upload all the songs to bandcamp as a free album (you need WAV though) 8)
OK, between the two of you, you have convinced me of what we need to do...

No mp3's required... I will render all .sunvox files to WAV and put them on bandcamp! (I'll probably do flac just to reduce upload times)

Editing rules now.
Thanx man, you are awesome!
Creator of the BOX10SVC

User avatar
NightRadio
Site Admin
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:28 am
Location: Ekaterinburg. Russia
Contact:

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by NightRadio » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:50 am

One more suggestion ))
If you use gmail account to receive the works, i think it would be logical to send sunvox-files directly to this email :)

User avatar
SawZer
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:26 am
Location: Texas

Re: Sunvox Compo #1 - Official Competition Thread

Post by SawZer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:04 am

Is the bandcamp account set up now, or are you going to set it up after the deadline?
Creator of the BOX10SVC

Post Reply