Sunvox Compo (competition) Interest check

Would you participate in a Sunvox compo?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 50

organic io

Sunvox Compo (competition) Interest check

Post by organic io »

Hi all. I'm new to Sunvox but not new to music tracking software.

As you may or may not be aware, Sunvox is based on Trackers ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracker_%2 ... oftware%29 ) which have heavy ties to the demoscene. One of the great things about the demoscene are its frequent competitions which allow artists (whether it be musicians, coders, graphics artists) to hone their skills towards improving their craft. I love compos because they not only give you a deadline and motivation to complete a song, but you also get valuable feedback about your music and also have the opportunity to listen to great music from other artists.

There are already a lot of frequent tracking competitions going. One I myself have been particularly active in is the Soundevotion Competition ( http://www.sdcompo.com/ ), but I've done a little web searching and haven't seen any that focus on Sunvox. Since I recently purchased a Mobilepro 900 and plan on using Sunvox on it, I thought maybe I could use Sunvox for the SDcompo... Unfortunately, right now the administrator of SDcompo is not sure that enough people would use Sunvox frequently enough to warrant its addition into the list of allowed tracking formats.

So I thought... Why not have a Sunvox-only compo here on the Sunvox forums? This in itself would be fun.. So having a compo here is my primary goal.
But then I also thought if enough Sunvox users enjoyed the compo and wanted to participate in compos more frequently -- We could start up an appeal on the SDcompo forums to say "hey, these Sunvox users are interested in participating here too"

If you are not sure how a forum compo would work, you can look at some other compo threads I have run previously to get a general idea.
http://forums.sdcompo.com/viewtopic.php?t=602 (Small compo on SDcompo forums)
http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php? ... 1-results/ (Large knockout tournament on Renoise forums)

Historically in tracking compos, a samplepack is used which all the competitors download and then are usually only allowed to use the samples in the pack. Since Sunvox has such powerful synthesizer capabilities, I think it would only make sense that a Sunvox only compo would have a samplepack and allow the use of internal synthesis.

So, vote in the poll and if enough people are interested (at least 3 or 4), we'll get something going within the next few weeks.

Also, if you have any ideas, suggestions, or questions, please feel free to post them here.

Thanks
-Scott (organic io)
organic io

Re: Sunvox Compo (competition) Interest check

Post by organic io »

So, we've got 5 "yes" votes, but no discussion.

A quiet crowd, eh? Well, still 5 is plenty enough for a competition.

Let me first get Sunvox running on my mobilepro and then I'll write up some rules and we'll get this thing started. The compo will probably start mid-october.
organic io

Post by organic io »

12 votes and no posts? Since you don't have to be registered to vote, I wonder if robots are just voting?

Anyone want to confirm that you would actually be interested in this?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Yeah! :) I confirm!
organic io

Post by organic io »

NightRadio wrote:Yeah! :) I confirm!
:Yahoo!:

Hey, that's the man who matters. This should be interesting :D
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

:D
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

I think that I'd like to participate, or at least see this happen. Although, if NightRadio's participating, I'm not sure if I've got a chance! :D
organic io

Post by organic io »

SolarLune wrote:I think that I'd like to participate, or at least see this happen. Although, if NightRadio's participating, I'm not sure if I've got a chance! :D
You should definitely participate. It doesn't really matter who wins or loses, the point is to have fun making music :)

I watched your tutorial videos on Youtube a few weeks ago btw... Well done, and very informative. It's part of what showed me how impressive and streamlined the interface is.
MissahSombrero

Post by MissahSombrero »

When would the deadline be? also, do you want actual sunvox files submitted or just audio on soundcloud?
organic io

Post by organic io »

MissahSombrero wrote:When would the deadline be? also, do you want actual sunvox files submitted or just audio on soundcloud?
I think about 2 weeks would be a good timeframe... So if it starts in mid-october, then probably end of october. But that's what this thread is for -- for you to give your opinion. Does that sound about right or would you like to see it shorter or longer?

As far as submissions, preferably both the Sunvox file and audio. Sunvox file will be absolutely required and mp3 will likely be required as well.
menthes

Post by menthes »

i've been dreaming of a sunvox compo. fujitsu u810 ready to rock. 8)

will there be a size limitation for the sunvox modules? a module without samples is usually between 64kb and 128kb for me.
organic io

Post by organic io »

menthes wrote:i've been dreaming of a sunvox compo. fujitsu u810 ready to rock. 8)

will there be a size limitation for the sunvox modules? a module without samples is usually between 64kb and 128kb for me.
Probably not... Since samples are allowed, average module sizes are going to be a lot larger than 64-128k, unless you choose not to use samples (which is perfectly fine). If there is a size limit, it will be pretty liberal, such as 4 or 5 MB.

Looks like there is definitely enough interest. This is going to be fun!
organic io

Post by organic io »

Aha Nightradio, now I see where all the votes are coming from -- Soundcloud.

I have been listening to lots of songs contributed to the Soundcloud user group tonight and inviting people to participate in the compo :)
beefinator

Post by beefinator »

Got your comment on my newest sunvox song (I'm under the same name on soundcloud)

Sure, I'll try it!

Never had a time restriction on making a song before.
I'll have to be good with getting my homework done so I'll have time.
:D
Soundcloud page
Second Soundcloud page (ran out of minutes, I post new stuff here)
Youtube channel
First ever Sunvox Compo Winner :)
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

luuuuulz we should totally appeal it so I can wipe the floor with all of em haha :D

Also, madtracker? buzz? LOL what the hell those trackers suck. I've tried both and they're crap compared to sunvox. Madtracker is overcomplicated, and buzz doesn't even have a permanent tracker onscreen.