Filter Pro Questions

Any topics and questions
Extreem

Filter Pro Questions

Post by Extreem »

Hey guys,

Can someone give me a little info about the Roll-off and O in the Filter/Filter Pro (mostly the roll-off)?
EXT
a1matt

Re: Filter Pro Questions

Post by a1matt »

They affect the shape of the filter's frequency response.
Roll off determines how sharp the sides are.
Q is how wide/narrow the response is around the filter frequency.

I recommend opening a filter pro and have a sound running through it. Then play with those parameters while watching how the graph at the bottom changes. Doing this while also listening to the effect it has is the best way to learn these modules.

The interaction between parameters changes for different filter types. I'd start by getting familiar with LP or HP.

You can also check out YT tutorials as the concepts of filters apply across all DAWs.
monoben

Re: Filter Pro Questions

Post by monoben »

There's a lot going on with the Filter Pro. The roll off is just how steep the sides are. If you have a low pass set to say 1000 the change the roll off while looking at the spectrum analyser you should see (and hear) it's effect quite pronounced.

This is pretty much as a1matt put it but sometimes it's nice to have conformation.

And do you mean Q? The Q changes it's affect on the sound depending on what type of filter you are using. As a general rule the higher the Q the less of the sound spectrum the filter affects. Sometimes one need to have a ultra surgical control of the exact frequency and turning the Q up helps to find specific narrow parts of the sound. It's often advised to keep the Q low to preserve the original sound but it totally depends on the task at hand.

Again basically what a1matt said.