Attempting to learn Russian

Any topics and questions
The Handle

Attempting to learn Russian

Post by The Handle »

As the title says, I am attempting to learn Russian. It'd be nice to be able to at least read what our Russian friends are writing on the forums, plus it'd be a new language I can use to search for music :)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Attempting to learn Russian

Post by NightRadio »

Хорошая новость! :)
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

Learned my first word! :D

шум - Noise (pronounced "shoom")
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

:good:
Darkhog

Post by Darkhog »

While Russian might be easy for me to learn (I'm from Poland, so languages are similar), I couldn't ever understand Cyrillic alphabet. Any help on that?
CoByX

Post by CoByX »

Darkhog wrote:While Russian might be easy for me to learn (I'm from Poland, so languages are similar), I couldn't ever understand Cyrillic alphabet. Any help on that?
I guess it is something you should learn letters and rules of pronounciation. After enough practice you will read words in Cyrillic fast. Also you can try reading similar words that are almost the same in Russian and Polish.
1) There are some common letters:
A = A, O = O, К = К, and some are similar - Т т = T t
2) A lot of different Б б = Bb, В в = V v (or W in Polish, I think), Г г = G g, Д д = D d, Е е - this is a tricky one, it's read as 'je' in the beginning or after a vowel, and it's read as 'ie' after a consonant, making it soft. Ё ё - jo, but E e can be used instead. Ж ж = rz, З з = Z z, И и = I i, Й й = j, Л л = L l, М м - M m, Н н - N n, Р р = R r, У у = U u, Ф ф = F f, Х х = H h, Ц ц - ts, Ч ч = cz , Ш ш = Ś ( english sh), Щ щ - like Ш ш, but soft, Ъ ъ - means that letter before it is not soft, ь ь - means that letter before it is soft , Э э - E e, Ю ю - ju or iu, rules of spelling are similar to E, Я я - ja or ia, rules sames as ю e, Ы ы - Y y.
3) Try some: музыка - muzyka, вода - woda, войско - wojsko, prawo - право, интернет - internet, сова - sowa.
Well, good luck! Remember - I haven't mention advanced rules of reading and alsoI have said nothing about stresses, so it's up to you to find them :)
desire

Post by desire »

i'm gonna learn russian soon, thank you for this :)