Mastering/EQing (in SunVox or just)

Any topics and questions
convergent

Mastering/EQing (in SunVox or just)

Post by convergent »

Hi, everyone. I'm using SunVox for 4 months or something. And with my musical and technical progress, new problem arises: I realize how poor the sound is.

I managed to do some basic things with EQs and output compressor (actually, my last idea was to use 2 compressors: limiter (peak) and RMS). It is not ideal, but ok. But now tracks became really quiet. Example: https://soundcloud.com/convergent/the-fire

While writing this post I've found old video by ChippyMunk (it's Sawzer, I guess?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHyFrOlIasE . That is totally enlightening technique, but I don't understand how DC Blocker helps here from signal processing point of view. Actually, where DC even comes from?

So. How do you do mastering of your songs? How do you "produce" your music?
samrai katt kovboy

Re: Mastering/EQing (in SunVox or just)

Post by samrai katt kovboy »

the boring thing is that its kind of the hardest part in general
and its a little bit more complicated in sunvox...
there is a lot of help on the internet that relates to equing and compression and so forth
but in the end is the ears that has to get trained when your ears are good enough then it doesnt matter to much which tools you use...
i am still learning but its still pretty hard for me and like i mentioned its not the easiest program to mix in not having a separate mixer, very limited equalizer or insert effects, so i ended up using reaper on the side to mix in...
there is a really good book on mixing in reaper called reamix .breaking the barriers with reaper.
that is really useful in general for all mixing independent of application.

may the cats of good fortune mjiauu all the way until the end of times.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY CIRCLES
convergent

Post by convergent »

So, you use different software for mixing. Thanks for your reply. It sounds convenient at this point of SunVox evolution. Mixer and automations (like in Ableton) are must-have-features indeed.
menthes

Post by menthes »

convergent wrote:I realize how poor the sound is.
poor sound is relative to the techniques that are utilized within any given audio software.

the current limitations of eq'ing and mixing/mastering within sunvox can be overcome in a few different ways.

outside sunvox:
export each instrument's output, import the tracks into multitrack software, apply plugins.

within sunvox:
detailed eq:
use filters to separate the frequency ranges of instruments; the eq module will only remove/boost a large portion of an instrument's frequency range. notch/bandpass filters are the closest thing to detailed eq'ing as of now (turn the resonance up and play with the freq). the spectrum analyzer is helpful in visualizing the changes that are made to an instrument's frequency range. try to separate the frequency ranges of instruments in order to prevent overlapping frequencies (aka a 'muddy' mix).

simulating stereo field:
use the delay, turn the dry to 0. turn delay l or delay r down to 0. play with the other l/r value to widen/enclose the stereo field.

also, use the vibrato to simulate a chorus effect.

when it comes to mixing and mastering, having a good pair of headphones/speakers can make a huge difference in the way a song sounds. for example, i picked up a higher-end pair of headphones a few months back, and the upgrade has changed the way i write and listen to music (YMMV, of course).

after the initial mix is completed, take a listen through different sources of playback (such as a car stereo/jambox/computer speakers/etc) to reveal the flaws and highlights of the mix. rinse and repeat the mixing process until aural satisfaction is achieved.
Last edited by menthes on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
convergent

Post by convergent »

Oh, that's a brilliant reply, menthes, thank you!

Separating the frequency ranges — I've heard of that, but does one really handle it? There's something like 20 instruments in the song and 5-10 of them are playing simultaneously, for example. Also, can filters settings suit the whole song or you have to use patterns to make them automated?

By the way, if you have a custom equalizer complex module for metamodule (more than 3 bars) can you share it?
menthes

Post by menthes »

new metamodules that were inspired by concepts in this thread. :)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2270
Mssu2000

Post by Mssu2000 »

Filter Pro is one of the best approaches to detailed EQ in SunVox. You can choose from low and high filter to notch or peaking types of bands, the gain, frequency, length, etc. There's also a way u can use it as a wah wah effect because u can set it to go back and forth from different frequency ranges at any rate. You can get really creative with it.