Sunvox: Vocal House (+Source)

Share your music here
gilzad

Sunvox: Vocal House (+Source)

Post by gilzad »

Hi all,

some while ago I posted here as a guest, asking for a way to buy Sunvox with the Euro currency.

That was the same time, when I was working on a tune already.
It all started with a mobile version of Sunvox. I continued the work on my Linux machine (Debian 6, amd64), now it's done and it's an entry at http://www.sdcompo.com, round 70.
So, here are the files:
MP3
Source

During the work I noticed a couple of things that really would improve the workflow for vocal productions:
* Most importantly an audiotrack feature that keeps track of the sample's position, no matter where I start playing in the song. E.g. in the Vorbis player, if the original-pitch feature is enabled.
* Then the volume ramping could need some improvement. Even the Axx-effect caused some clicks in one case here.
* For music competitions/scene productions the 'Vorbis Player' should be able to handle multiple sample, so one doesn't need to load it 3 times for 3 samples.

Other than that, Sunvox was really a nice experience. I come from Renoise and had to get used to Sunvox's compressors and filters first. But in the end I got a very analog sound just using the internal DSPs and synths.
I'm also glad to see some closeness to the demoscene and to see that the pattern commands are familiar with the good old FT2 commandset. And the whole software is 90% stable. I've had some crashes in 1.7 but a new version is out already.

Really, Nightradio, don't know how you managed to create such a beast as a one-man-project. But I'm impressed.

edit: Changed link to not load foreighn servers. ;)
dusicyon

Re: Sunvox: Vocal House (+Source)

Post by dusicyon »

Wow, amazing! Very cool stuff. I didn't know that sunvox was THAT powerful. :Bravo:
gilzad

Post by gilzad »

Thanks a lot!
The mix/master needs some large amount of improvement though. Well, next time ;)
odoyle

Post by odoyle »

I learned SO much just tracing your node network—thank you for posting the source!

~od
gilzad

Post by gilzad »

Thank you so much for writing this, odoyle! I've learned from source files myself and such comments motivate me to continue sharing the sources.
nopcorp

Post by nopcorp »

+1 regarding source files...

They are the best!

I wish we had a thread dedicated to source files.
blacbeard

Post by blacbeard »

Wow.
That is dedication.
I am interested to know how you recorded the vocals. You mostly use OGG vorbis player, so you recorded the vox externally then imported them back into Sunvox, correct? What program did you use, Audacity?

I commend you on the scale of the task you undertook to produce the song. Your DSP chains are behemoths and the quality of the resulting sounds is great. I hope you have Metamodule wrapped the chains for your later use as it is obvious that a lot of effort has gone into chaining them to sculpt the sound.

Bravo.
gilzad

Post by gilzad »

Thanks a bunch blacbeard!

You guessed it right, I did use Audacity to record the vocals first. To keep my singing in sync, I had SunVox playing in the background while I was monitoring with the headphones of course. I also applied some FFT-based noise reduction and prepared the unison and harmony sections first, before I loaded them in SunVox.
Indeed I created and shared a bunch of MetaModules right after this feature was added to SunVox. Did you have a look at the MetaModules section? I'd be happy to see them in your projects, like I saw the lookahead compressor in SolarLune's awesome Synchro once.

Almost a year has gone and I I created another tune with SunVox, which I'll create a new thread for just right now :) You can see how I used some of my MetaModules there, so this feature is truly a gift to me.