Drag Module Over Line To Connect

SolarLune

Drag Module Over Line To Connect

Post by SolarLune »

Hey, I suggested this before, and I don't think people were really cool with the idea, but I can't find it anymore, so I'm gonna make an official request for it.

It'd be really, really nice if it were possible to drag modules over connections between modules to auto-place them in the middle of the connection and connect them automatically. So, if you have an Amplifier going to the Output, you could drag a Filter over the connection to place a filter in the middle of the two, and connect them (so Amplifier > Filter > Output). An option to disable it could be available in the Settings window for those who don't like it.

Please consider it!
blacbeard

Re: Drag Module Over Line To Connect

Post by blacbeard »

I was thinking about this yesterday. 'Reactable' iOS uses this for live insert of effects into it's modular routing. Very cool. The other cool feature in reactable is swiping across the connection muting the audio chain. Unmuting is achieved with a second swipe.
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

I could definitely use something like that in my live work. +1
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

Yeah, I know it might not be usable for everyone, but considering how much time we spend making connections between modules, the ability to "slot" another module into an existing chain would be appreciated.
blacbeard

Post by blacbeard »

Perhaps 'bump' to connect/disconnect would be a way of establishing or disconnecting modules too. maybe with a +key so that it is deliberate not accidental.
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

^ I was thinking of something like that, too, like drag a module over an existing one to connect it (and I suppose the "connecting" module would go back to the original position before you picked it up). That could work; holding a key seems like it'd be kinda unnecessary, though, since that's how it already is (hold control and click to begin the connection, release on the desired module). If the modules flashed when you hovered a module to connect over them, it'd help to minimize accidents.
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

If anyone's used psycle, it handles inserting machines by way of 'joints'....so this is an 'extra' feature request to go with the one here...

Basically, in the center of a wire between two machines is a node. If you connect a machine to this node, the machine is inserted into that 'stream' between the original two modules. It's awesome.

Now, to build on this, I think it would be cool if there is option to turn these nodes into connection 'elbows'...meaning you can move them as if they are a module and the wires react as such...it would help when keeping twisty paths and dodgy connections that are tangled a bit more in order.

As well, in Psycle, the elbow, when selected brought up volume/panning sliders, I believe.
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
SolarLune

Post by SolarLune »

^ That's an interesting idea. Currently the lines are always a straight shot, but added joints would allow you to kind of "direct traffic" in a way that makes sense to you.

Also, an easy way to disconnect a module could be to just press a key to "lift" the module and disconnect it? The remaining modules would be re-routed in a way that makes sense (generally).
Saltbearer

Post by Saltbearer »

Elbow joints! Please! I sometimes find it a bit tricky to keep all the connections clear in a 100-module spiderweb, and don't like doing things that create crossings to untangle. If it were a little simpler to keep things clean, maybe I'd be a little more adventurous. Which gives me an idea.
DigitalNematode

Post by DigitalNematode »

Grab a dc filter module, rename it to elbow. Pretend its something you have always wanted. ;) You could always set the modules up in a pixel perfect linear fashion, make sure every line overlaps perfectly. But then you are stuck pressing undo every time you interact in order to keep it neat. All jokes aside, I'm severly OCD and completly understand the dilemma. Actually when I first arrived I untangled peoples projects while becoming familiar. Had to actually, in order to see all the details. November's winner... That took about an hour lol.
Antima

Post by Antima »

I like the idea in the original post. An alternative idea would be to have the abilty to select a module, and then from a menu select 'insert before' or 'insert after' and then choose your new module.

Thanks to DigitalNematode for the elbow idea using the dc filter! I shrink them down to minimum size and it works well.
xaccrocheur

Post by xaccrocheur »

+1 to both ideas, although IMHO the jointed lines thing should definitely be optional.
Yassin Philip - Check out My music =@