Playback speed is different between Windows Mobile and Win32

organic io

Playback speed is different between Windows Mobile and Win32

Post by organic io »

OK so I have been working on a song. I recorded a live drum part while listening to the Windows Mobile version of the song. When I rendered all the parts out and took it to Reaper, the live drums part drifts out of sync with the rest of the song.

I double checked and listened to the exported wavs versus the Windows mobile song playback, they drift.. After about 2 minutes of playing, they are about 4 seconds apart.

At this point I'm going to have to either figure out how to timestretch my drumming, or re-record. Re-recording isn't optimal because I did it in the church sanctuary where I can get natural reverb. :)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Playback speed is different between Windows Mobile and W

Post by NightRadio »

I recorded a live drum part while listening to the Windows Mobile version of the song.
Recorded in Reaper?
organic io

Post by organic io »

NightRadio wrote:
I recorded a live drum part while listening to the Windows Mobile version of the song.
Recorded in Reaper?
No, recorded on a Zoom H1 digital recorder which I hope has accurate timing :)
Plus remember that the output renders from Win32 Sunvox export drifted compared to the playback of the Windows Mobile during a side-by-side comparison.

Anyway I figured out how to timestretch in Reaper, but it didn't work at first because openbox was stealing the alt key when I tried to alt-drag the take. I had to edit an xml file to disable this behavior. It took me a while but it is always worth it for the music :D
organic io

Post by organic io »

P.S... The playback rate on both my timestretched drum takes is 0.995, I don't know if that will help you figure out the offset ?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

You recorded drum part on Zoom H1 while listening some another part on Windows Mobile SunVox.
Then exported SunVox part to the WAV too.
Then mixed both drums.wav (from Zoom H1) and sunvox.wav (from SunVox) in Reaper. And they play out of sync.
I described it right?
organic io

Post by organic io »

NightRadio wrote:You recorded drum part on Zoom H1 while listening some another part on Windows Mobile SunVox.
Then exported SunVox part to the WAV too.
Then mixed both drums.wav (from Zoom H1) and sunvox.wav (from SunVox) in Reaper. And they play out of sync.
I described it right?
Yes.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

The first assumption - may be Audio playback has a bit detuned frequency on your Windows Mobile device?
You can check it easily: try to play one SunVox song on Windows Mobile and Win32 simultaneously. Or record the sound from Win Mobile using Zoom H1 and then compare this sound with the WAV exported from SunVox.
organic io

Post by organic io »

NightRadio wrote:The first assumption - may be Audio playback has a bit detuned frequency on your Windows Mobile device?
You can check it easily: try to play one SunVox song on Windows Mobile and Win32 simultaneously. Or record the sound from Win Mobile using Zoom H1 and then compare this sound with the WAV exported from SunVox.
OK, I'll do some testing. that's probably what it is. I don't know why I expected it to be the same. But timestretching did the trick so it's not a terrible loss
organic io

Post by organic io »

NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Nice song!
organic io

Post by organic io »

NightRadio wrote:Nice song!

P.S.. I might have another bug report with a previous version of the .sunvox file of it, I'll report back later :)