Simulating the "real" ANS.

Software simulator of the unique Russian synthesizer
faelnor

Simulating the "real" ANS.

Post by faelnor »

Hi Alexander, I greatly enjoy your software and ideas so thanks for everything you're doing. I hope you manage to get a good living out of it 'cause you deserve it.
Now, I've spent countless hours on SunVox but only discovered the ANS synth a few days ago. The original instrument is a wonderful, almost mystical thing to me, a fantastic idea to reverse FFT an image into sound by a genius (and crazy) man. I've found a few pictures on the internet that were supposed to play on the ANS and would like to import them into Virtual ANS.

I already know that the ANS spans 10 octaves just like your soft, but do you know the starting frequency of the original instrument? Also, the aspect ratio of the original is a bit different and I'm wondering what would be the best internal resolution to accurately represent the light board, especially the right vertical resolution to correctly match the delta-f of the physical instrument.

Cheers,
Florian

EDIT: Some examples can be found here, it seems.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: Simulating the "real" ANS.

Post by NightRadio »

Hello Florian!
Thank you!
do you know the starting frequency of the original instrument?
As i know, the starting frequency is 20 Hz. But i'm not sure. I should check it on the real ANS.
I'm wondering what would be the best internal resolution to accurately represent the light board, especially the right vertical resolution to correctly match the delta-f of the physical instrument.
Real ANS sonogram height is 720 pixels (pure tones).
But the real width is difficult to determine. It can be any, because the ANS is analogue instrument and its playback speed may vary.
faelnor

Re: Simulating the "real" ANS.

Post by faelnor »

NightRadio wrote:As i know, the starting frequency is 20 Hz. But i'm not sure. I should check it on the real ANS.
Thanks, I'll use that from now. If you get the opportunity to find out exactly I'm interested.
I might try to get in touch with the people at theremin.ru to see if they can ask Stanislav Kreichi for example.
Real ANS sonogram height is 720 pixels (pure tones).
Thanks again. I really should have re-read this page first. And you're right of course, if I know the vertical resolution, the horizontal doesn't matter much because there is no way to know what playback speed was intended -- unless it is specified.

Such an interesting instrument... :good: