Wavetables

Koekepan

Wavetables

Post by Koekepan »

I was thinking of a wavetable module.

It would work by defining a series of curves, analogous to the Generator series of curves (i.e. things like saw, pulse, hand-drawn), doing an analysis on each of the waves in the series, taking a morphing speed, and from that series and speed generating a summed curve.

It could also have a couple of looping options (forward, backward, pingpong ...) as well as an ADSR.

It would not be easy to automate during a track, but because of its precalculated nature it would be fairly efficient during playback.
hseiken

Re: Wavetables

Post by hseiken »

If this was done, i'd like to see something in function like a graintable, that way you could, say, create a wave with a filter sweep applied, but instead of calculating the filter in realtime, you simply shift the portion of the wavetable and the looped section/grain, which is not only a way of handling a different sound processing that's not already in sunvox, but can also be used on low power devices in some instances to get more effects with flexibility. There's an example of how it can be used sonically outside of this area both in Ensoniq keyboards and in Reason's Granulator synth (I think that's what it's called, it's been a while since I ever looked at that software). It's a unique sound and would work as expected from the original request as well as offer a new sonic soundscape option at low power to sunvox, imo. I think possibly it would have to work a little like the SpectraVoice, where it renders the table 'silently in the background' so if you change the base waveform, it won't actually take affect for a small period of time...or it could simply have a 'render table' button (which should never be allowed to be used as a pattern effect, just as 'EDIT' on a sampler isn't allowed).
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
queries

Post by queries »

It's not very CPU efficient as all sound generators are running at the same time, but there are ways to set up structures in SunVox to approximate wavetables and morph between them.

Here is a post about one such method, to which I'm about to add a link to a YT video that demonstrates it: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4497&p=15757&hilit ... tor#p15757
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

I'm aware of the workaround to approximate wavetables, but I'd rather see an actual wavetable module that pulls it all together.

It'd work better for polyphony as well.
Newk

Post by Newk »

i just wanted to try simulate a wavetable synth... by having a long sample of subsequent different cycles, 256 samples each of those cycles, into the sampler. Then setting the loop in it to a single cycle and then animating over the different cycles with the 09-command/effect ...But no..
It seems to ignore this offset-effect when in loop mode.. what a bummer :( (unless i'm doing it wrong)

Can we have this effect for loop mode please? :Rose:

I think it would sound best if the loop didn't reset its position within the loop when changing the offset just the samples underneath it.

If the loopmode and 09 command in its current form are used for other things (phase shift?) then maybe add another loopmode called "oscillator" or "wt" or something.