Load S3M and IT Modules

Load S3M and IT Modules

Post by 9912 »

Hello, i was amazed with the fact that i can load xm and mod files from modarchive as i have a bunch of them, but i have more impulsetracker files than xm, so i ask if is possible to implement a IT loader on sunvox, source codes of other programs have an implementation of the IT loader, it vary from the complex OpenMPT to other simple ones like libXMP or MikMod or MikIT.

thanx. :D
Keres

Re: Load S3M and IT Modules

Post by Keres »

some advice... download modplug tracker and convert to .XM ... also IT itself will save a mod as .xm if i remember. the problem is one of time to actually make the conversion app... something which i am sure that is well below Alexander's skill level, but as issue is research and time to actually make it happen. Mr. Zolotov most likely has no experience with IT and it's instruments so it's prolly just not on his radar.

I have been switching between trackers for years. I have had to convert from amiga mod to IT and then to Buzz, but the main thing is to throw out all the instruments. I know that it was awesome to have new note actions and all that, but you gotta face it... good patches don't make good tracks, so just load the track in modplug and save it without your patches as .XM then load to sunvox. the patches in sunvox are so much better, trust me after you try it on a few old mods you will never look back.
queries

Re: Load S3M and IT Modules

Post by queries »

If someone wants to use Python to write a converter that works independently of SunVox itself, you can use https://github.com/metrasynth/radiant-voices/ to construct and write a .sunvox file ...

The code to read and convert IT files to the appropriate structures would be the challenge. New note actions as Keres mentioned... And filter envelopes on instruments. And IT-specific commands... Etc.

BUT as Keres suggested, perhaps a more rudimentary conversion that doesn't do everything, but gets the patterns, notes, and basic instrument/sample conversion done... That could still be useful and probably a lot easier to write.