New Generation

Koekepan

New Generation

Post by Koekepan »

Two exciting opportunities spring to mind:

First, introducing phase to generators, so that we can do sync sounds (and sync sweeps) with multiple generators. Powerful sonic capabilities.

On a similar note, how about some sort of way of doing wavetable sonic movement? It may be possible with some kind of modulation scheme that I'm just not seeing right now, but so far the best I'm finding is crossfading between some sources.

While I'm on the topic, how about comb filters?
squidmissile

Re: New Generation

Post by squidmissile »

I'm pretty sure this going be said, so I'll just put it out in the open. There is a phase parameter in the multisynth for these kinds of things.

But I rarely use that thing. I'd rather see phase in the various synth modules since they all have their own built-in envelopes (for now). So...... +1

And second..
Koekepan wrote:On a similar note, how about some sort of way of doing wavetable sonic movement? It may be possible with some kind of modulation scheme that I'm just not seeing right now, but so far the best I'm finding is crossfading between some sources.
Isn't the basis of wavetable synthesis crossfading between sounds? From all the research I've done this is the only thing I've come up with. It doesn't really seem like their is a need for multiple envelopes, just multiple sound sources and a way to "move" through them. And the main thing that sets one wavetable synth apart from another is "how" they move through the various sounds in transition from one to another. I'm not missing anything am crucial there am I? I just know that can't be all there is to it.

I haven't actually thrown anything into a metamodule yet. But all my sketches are based around this crossfading idea. Where 3 or more sounds can be crossfaded between using some kind of global crossfader to cross over all the sounds that would exist inbetween as one moves from the first sound to the sound they desired. Two sounds would fade between each other until global crossfader leaves their region of the table and onto the next. So it's like... I'm crossfading several crossfaders. In (my) theory this should give me some really cool table sweeps if I just jump around the table.

The idea is based around mixers and I have no idea if it would work. But it seems plausible and I'm hoping it can give me a cool table sweep when I get around to putting everything together.

Anyways it would be really cool to see some wavetable type stuff added into SunVox. +1 Those are all the thumbs I have. lol
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

Part of the deal with sync sounds is that the additional waveform(s) need to reset at the start of the primary waveform's cycle so that you essentially have a new waveform as a result.

This is why I was thinking of syncing added to, for example, the Analog Generator that already has two virtual oscillators.

Alternatively, a new module type could do it.
El Nino

Post by El Nino »

For the wavetable synthesis idea...

Maybe it would be cool if sunvox had a command that could move a small looped segment of a sample, backwards or forwards across the length of the sample. (Play loop offset + / - 256ths of the sample length or, play loop offset + / - number of samples [the other kind of samples])

it would be like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnG6z6Fgoyk

other than that, morphing waveforms would be pretty cool in the generator and analogue generator modules (morph from square to saw, noise to sine etc.), +1 sync would be sweet
Sedulous

Post by Sedulous »

Hello, I read what was posted and approached a working solution based on my understanding of it. How far or close is this to what you had in mind? Feel free to modify it and repost what you think would bring it closer to what you really had in mind.
Attachments
Sedulous Wave_Cross-Over_Synth.zip
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Sedulous Wave_Cross-Over_Synth_Demo.zip
(5.06 KiB) Downloaded 260 times