Sunvox on Bare Metal?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
hseiken

Sunvox on Bare Metal?

Post by hseiken »

I know there's quite a few people around the internets who have made SunBoxes (Sunvox inside of specially made hardware) and was curious how close to bare-metal people have gotten sunvox to run and if it improved performance to do so? I'm especially interested in the Pi experiments in this regard. I have yet to actually take the dive into such endeavors, but am interested in how people went about setting up the software side of things to get a custom machine that feels as 'dedicated' to sunvox as possible...did you install key combination blockers to prevent accidentally getting into the OS, for instance?
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
hseiken

Re: Sunvox on Bare Metal?

Post by hseiken »

Also as an aside, anyone into FPGA's, do you think it's possible to run sunvox 'in chip form'?
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
cube48

Post by cube48 »

Here's very nice instructional video by Marky Shaw which shows how to set up the most 'close to bare-metal' as you can get IMHO. Using RPi 3 instead of Zero W would give you more performance though.

https://youtu.be/GQVZTZeIWjg
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

Thanks for the vid. I have a feeling the best solution will be something closer to 'roll your own' linux. I'm not especially interested in headless as much as I am a dedicated 'device' that still gives immediate access to sequencer and routing. :) If I ever get the time, energy and money (I usually have 2 of the 3 but never all 3 at the same time...!), I may try my hand at SunvOS for a Pi device.