ADSR enveloppes ? Plus : slide to a first note of a pattern

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
vichug

ADSR enveloppes ? Plus : slide to a first note of a pattern

Post by vichug »

Hello,
most of the synth modules in SunVox come with an attack-sustain-release enveloppe. But i like attack-decay-sustain release, with the decay allowing to shape a little more the attack, it's nice. Is there a synth which has ADSR enveloppe ? But mostly is there a way to apply an adsr enveloppe to any synth module ?

Bonus question : is it somehow possible to apply a slide (standard effect) to the first note of a pattern ? That way you'd get the slide only if there is a note before. I don't know if it's possible, but for example when i'm looping over a pattern which has slide, i would very much like it to exist.

That'll be all for now i think :) have a good sunday
leondustar

Re: ADSR enveloppes ? Plus : slide to a first note of a pattern

Post by leondustar »

Thx :)
Hm your preference sounds so unique/niche to me.
It will probably be possible, however im afraid you have to design a metamodule for that yourself (and share it gere *hint*).
All i know is: The Sampler-module allows multiple custom envelopes, but for real DIY pleasure you might want to look at velocity2ctl which supports note-off events.
You could design a metamodule with 4 controllers (ADSR). It can accept notes, and inside the module you will have to get creative with LFO and the *2ctl machines, and apply them to a synthgenerator-module and/or amplitude module.
I think while in the process of doing so, you will discover that much more is possible than simply ADSR.

concerning the bonus question: did you try it? i didnt, but seems like its very easy to test with the slide effects. (try both synths and sampler-module). I think it would work.

happy sunvoxing! :Yahoo!:
cube48

Post by cube48 »

Some envelope generators are here ;-)
vichug

Post by vichug »

haha funny that i see these answers now :) i'm readying to share the quick & quirk workaround i made for having adsr envelope for "Analog Generator" module. The idea is to have a metamodule, and inside are 2 analog gen that are fired at once, one will do the attack decay part, the other is for sustain & release. It doesn't work so well actually (several reasons, one beeing that there is a delay to the SR gen output, so that the sound from it comes from the end of attack point, but then release will necessarly have this delay as well... also when you change atk time, you have delay time change artifacts...) but i still put it there, just in case someone want to try or improve it...
Attachments
adsrGen.sunsynth
(33.54 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
vichug

Post by vichug »

although i begin to see how i could use your envelope generators cube48 and that could be better ..
vichug

Post by vichug »

after some tries, it's very impractical (if impossible) to apply an adsr enveloppe to the note enveloppes of a polyphonic synth the way you suggest, cube48 - there is only one gain enveloppe going out of sound2ctl volume. Doing better would mean creating a metamodule with 16 (for example, for 16 voices of polyphony) ADSR envelopes and map them to 16 monophonic synths somehow.... meh.....

(by the way about the bonus question : yes i had tried, not sure what leondustar means, but it didn't work, when you apply slide to the first note of a pattern, the pattern doesn't start at all)
hseiken

Post by hseiken »

I've used the Vibrato with a control module to create pitch envelopes. I haven't quite worked out how to make it behave and create multictrl's that function properly as 'expected' but it does indeed have potential even as unwieldy as it is.
WARNINGThis angry old nerd may rant about modern computers or computer culture! It is not directed at you 99% of the time! Ignore it if it seems silly or personal!
Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

I propose my own ADSR that I used quite awhile:
The module does not create any sound, and generated a pure ADSR curve,
There are a few controllers,
Volume: The overall maximum value
Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release: Self-explanatory
Exp - Env: switch the signal from Linear to exponential

For the polyphonic synth, you don't need to make a 16 voice synth with 16 sets of synths, you may group some of the sounds:
Time/Notes:
[note 1.........]
[note 2.........]
[note 3.........]
....[note 4]
.......[note 5]

In this case, you can group note 1, 2 and 3 in to 1 group
and note 4 for another, and so on.
This has some advantages:
- lower the number of sets
- You can have the maximum of 32 voices in one set if all 32 notes are triggered at the same time for the best case
- lower the number of triggering other enveloppes/ controllers
- can play with a midi keyboard directly
- fun to look at

But there are disadvantages:
- particularly paraphonic
- not the most efficient solution
- not able to use tracking filter
- it has the worst case when all notes are triggered at a different time, result in not achieved the number of voice as requested
- really nerdy (involved too many logic circuits), too complicated to create another set of synth
- take too many modules (can be replaced with a metamodule though)

Texts are not the best way to explain, some example will be uploaded:
ADSR.sunsynth
(11.71 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
*Advance kicker is actually the MKI Kicker module from TwistBoy - Translucent

If you slow down the example, you will see only 2 generator (Supersaw generators in this case) will be triggered but there are 3 notes line of notes at the same time, since 2 of them are fired at the same row, result in grouping together; however, the third note is triggered when the first 2 note are still playing, result in shift to the next register.
Last edited by Logickin λ on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Logickin λ

Post by Logickin λ »

For gliding, I have some ideas, but not yet been tested, but put here anyway, I hope there is any thing may inspired you.

- write the pattern until the first un-gliding note appear
- Use of glide module and control the pitch scale with simple attack / release envelope with a little DC offset and subtraction.
- pitch shifter, if not minding the distortion of the signal.

Update:
No need to do such a complicated stuff after some test, just use the Glide module, the way to use the module is more or less similar to Multisynth, if you want a note glide, set lower response to glide notes, set higher to get a instantly pitch change, but if only using standard effect, I am afraid that I can't find a solution yet...
purelygrey

Post by purelygrey »

vichug wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:11 am haha funny that i see these answers now :) i'm readying to share the quick & quirk workaround i made for having adsr envelope for "Analog Generator" module. The idea is to have a metamodule, and inside are 2 analog gen that are fired at once, one will do the attack decay part, the other is for sustain & release. It doesn't work so well actually (several reasons, one beeing that there is a delay to the SR gen output, so that the sound from it comes from the end of attack point, but then release will necessarly have this delay as well... also when you change atk time, you have delay time change artifacts...) but i still put it there, just in case someone want to try or improve it...
This is pretty much how I did it, there's a few minor quirks (you need to sometimes reset the release and you can't really use dirty generator and automate stuff except duty cycle, which is restricted to 50%, 25% and 12.5% (but that's a feature)) but it works rather well, actually. Here's mine:
Attachments
[B] ADSR Generator.sunsynth
(14.01 KiB) Downloaded 227 times