Sunvox + Ubuntu + Jack + Midi

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
justin

Sunvox + Ubuntu + Jack + Midi

Post by justin »

Hi,

I'm trying to work with the four horsemen listed above :-)

If I set Preferences -> Audio -> Driver -> Auto and connect up my Korg Nanokey via USB, I can see "Korg Nanokey" in Preferences -> Midi and everything works fine

However I need to run Sunvox with Jack because I have another piece of software (Sonic Pi -> http://sonic-pi.net/) which I want to work with Sunvox which only appears to work on Linux with Jack.

So I set Jack as follows:

jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:1

and set Sunvox Preferences -> Driver -> JACK

Now both Sonic Pi and Sunvox seem to both work, can produce sound etc; the problem is I no longer see 'Korg Nanokey' in my list of Sunvox Midi devices. In fact I if hit a key on the Nano, it seems to register as an event in the Sonic Pi window :-(

I have a feeling this is simply because I have Jack incorrectly configured, or have incorrectly connected the two synths. However I'd like if possible to confirm that Sunvox can receive Midi events under Jack; and if so then how (so I can check it via the Nano)

Thank you -
spktkpkt

Re: Sunvox + Ubuntu + Jack + Midi

Post by spktkpkt »

Maybe you just need to "patch" the NanoKey to SunVox in Jack. Install qjackctl, click the "Connect" button and check if the NanoKey is patched to SunVox.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

When you are in the ALSA mode, you see the ALSA MIDI devices.
When you are in the JACK mode, you see the JACK MIDI input port of the SunVox only. ALSA devices are not accessible in this mode. Although, maybe I will implement it in future versions...
You need to install the following apps:
  • qjackctl - UI for JACK connections;
  • a2jmidid - bridge between the ALSA MIDI ports and JACK.
justin

Post by justin »

Thank you both, I sort of figured it out here -

https://in-thread.sonic-pi.net/t/sonic- ... idi/638/13

Scripting Sunvox from Sonic-Pi via MIDI is really nice :-)