SunVox via i2c

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
ZipSnipe

SunVox via i2c

Post by ZipSnipe »

Ok the next part of my synth looper project is getting the Adafruit 4x4 trellis pad to work with SunVox. I know SunVox has an option for GPIO but what about i2c?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: SunVox via i2c

Post by NightRadio »

No i2c support in the current version.
But i plan to add it in the next versions
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

Sweet, I just got SunVox working on the Raspberry but only with my keyboard. I am thinking if we went with i2c rather than usb or midi to trigger we could get the latency down
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

Well been researching how to get i2c over to Uart and vice versa. This is no doubt going to take some code added to most likely ALSA. Even though I am no coder(still in my first week of learning code) I am gathering as much info on what needs to be done.

So we know the Raspberry Pi does not read midi baud rate, midi hats provide the needed conversion.
I2c can handle reading this conversion but there is some kinda of limit at around 258 bits(don't hold me to this I might have this worded incorrectly)
So somewhere in between these to protocols we need some type of converter code or program.

We'll report back and maybe give NightRadio the needed info to kick in i2c support. But then again if I figure it out then really , I would just make it publicly available, hopefully as a program then you could use it no matter what software synth you use.
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

uuummno luck so far:-(

I think I will have to go this route with the trellis and i2C. Basically I will have the trellis running just the software loop player that I am programming(still learning). When SunVox is i2C compatible that will be great but until then it will only work with this software I am developing. Currently MIDI uart will not respond to i2C' slower clock rate. So its very difficult to use this Trellis other than a usb midi controller.

Now I can get it to work eventually with the software I am creating but the trellis will not transmit midi.

So thats where we are at this point.
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

Sad to report still no luck. I think I am getting close in both Pure Data and Python. People keep telling me I can do it but no one really provides a detailed "how to". So its up to me to keep digging.

Info so far: Adafruit 4x4 button Trellis is on i2c port 1 address 0x70 . The port 1 is according to Python
Pure data using comport object will only open serial line device 0 (/dev/ttyAMA0) . I am not sure if this is the i2c port or another.

So my lack of knowledge is the only barrier coupled with my Linux noobness is bringing the project to a slow crawl.

well I shall keep trucking
syhnt

Post by syhnt »

What is i2C?
:) The most wonderful thing in history is music, which is the most important part of my flexibility