1.9.3 for NextThing CHIP

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
mackemint

1.9.3 for NextThing CHIP

Post by mackemint »

Hello!
I enjoy this tracker greatly and I'd love to use the newly released wonder on my PocketCHIP.
After apt update && apt upgrade Sunvox is still at 1.9.2. The Raspberry pi version from official releases isn't running very well.
Was the previous upgrade build from 1.9.1->1.9.2 done by NextThing or Warmplace?

Cheers and thanks for a great app!.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Re: 1.9.3 for NextThing CHIP

Post by NightRadio »

Was the previous upgrade build from 1.9.1->1.9.2 done by NextThing or Warmplace?
by NextThing :)
I'll try to contact them again
squidmissile

Post by squidmissile »

NextThing seems to be focused on something else besides the CHIP at the moment. They haven't been veey reposnive A lot of people are still waiting for their shipments. And most of the community wants an upgrade to NextThing's OS.

Pico-8 users are feeling the sameway. This same question has been asked on the Pico-8 bbs....
mackemint

Post by mackemint »

NightRadio wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:46 am
by NextThing :)
I'll try to contact them again
Ah I was afraid of that.
Please do tell if you manage to get hold of them, the company has been pretty much a black box most part of this year. :/
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

At least they answered me. So i hope the 1.9.3 will be added soon :)
mackemint

Post by mackemint »

NightRadio wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:03 pm At least they answered me. So i hope the 1.9.3 will be added soon :)
Oh wow, I'm impressed! ^__^
Thanks man!
mackemint

Post by mackemint »

NightRadio wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:03 pm At least they answered me. So i hope the 1.9.3 will be added soon :)
Hey mr. Radio
Any more news about the 1.9.3 build? Pretty much assuming NTC is going to declare bankruptcy / sell off to another company by this point.. :unknown:
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

It's sad :( I have no any news too...
But actually the SunVox for CHIP is just the SunVox for Raspberry Pi with custom settings. So you can try to launch the RPi version
mackemint

Post by mackemint »

Ya, super sad prospects. (~_~)
Oh really, that's neat. What are the custom settings?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

What are the custom settings?
Fullscreen mode + some custom color theme. And may be something else, i don't know :) I have no CHIP to test it
ArmandoC

Post by ArmandoC »

NightRadio wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:45 am It's sad :( I have no any news too...
But actually the SunVox for CHIP is just the SunVox for Raspberry Pi with custom settings. So you can try to launch the RPi version
oh cool, welcome news. going to try to update my Chip in 2020. :%)
mackemint

Post by mackemint »

ArmandoC wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:36 am oh cool, welcome news. going to try to update my Chip in 2020. :%)
Hey, I've actually managed to fix most of the audio glitches I experienced in Sunvox by these two simple tricks.
So firstly, seems like there's an error in the Pulseaudio config, this is solved by following this simple guide:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/707171/ ... oppy-audio
Second, there are a few processes that take too much CPU time, these I squelch by running this in a shell script as sudo:

sudo pkill pocket-home
sudo renice 17 -p $(pidof /lib/systemd/systemd) #Puts one of the suspected perpetrators’ nice value to 17, add more lines like this if you have problems with ubihealthd or another process
sudo renice 17 -p $(pidof /lib/systemd/ubihealthd)
sudo renice -20 -p $(pidof /usr/bin/pulseaudio) #Allows pulseaudio to be less polite
sudo nice -n -20 sudo -u chip /usr/bin/sunvox_lofi #change sunvox_lofi to whatever app you need to have more CPU time

If you want to run the latest version of SunVox, you need to put softrender in your config for some reason. SDL library issues I guess.
Like this:
echo softrender >> ~/.config/SunVox/sunvox_config.ini

It runs pretty smooth I must say. The buffer size needs to be set quite high unfortunately, so don't expect too much real-time recording but otherwise it's pretty sweet!

Info on Flashing CHIP in 2020 post-insolvency can be found here:
https://medium.com/@0x1231/nextthingco- ... 445492639e

Happy chipping, feel free to ping me if you have any issues.
ArmandoC

Post by ArmandoC »

Oh man great. I’ll give it a try I got nothing to loose. Thanks for the details I really appreciate it.
mackemint

Post by mackemint »

I'll have to revisit this point of advice. Made some more progress with getting better audio performance from Sunvox on PocketCHIP and I found this thread:
https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4489

Pulseaudio seems to cause trouble when using it with Sunvox, especially when handling MIDI sync. A terrible jittery mess it was.
After changing the settings in SunVox according to the above thread, i quit SunVox to terminal.
Did a few pulseaudio -k until it complained that the process wasn't found and then renamed the binary usr/bin/pulseaudio to usr/bin/pulseaudio~

SunVox can now be synced with MIDI. I chose to not receive start / stop as SunVox will start with a delay unfortunately, but other than that the timing is near perfect.

I've been fiddling with trying to get it working with JACK quite a lot which was a complete nightmare, wish I could have found this straight forward solution earlier :fool:

Mr. Radio, you're an :angel:
Thank you for this fantastic tracker! <3