Partial sustain ?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
kekie

Partial sustain ?

Post by kekie »

If I have a generator with sustain turned on, notes will be held until the next note is played.
If I have a generator with sustain turned off, notes won't be held, and will fade according to how I set the 'release' parameter.

When I'm pressing keys on my keyboard, I can hold a note for as long as I like, then release it (if sustain is turned on). Is there a way to do this in a song proper (like put an instruction/effect in a pattern that tells sunvox to do this)?
In other words, is there a way to 'hold' the note for an arbitrary number of lines, then release?

My current workaround is to turn on sustain, and make a bunch of patterns, one for each note. I make each pattern as long as I want the note to last. This works, but is suboptimal.

(I've just started using this software, sorry if this is a noobish question).
queries

Re: Partial sustain ?

Post by queries »

You can only have one note sustained per line. But each pattern can have multiple tracks. Double-click on the pattern in the timeline then increase the number of tracks. Then you can start a new note in another track while one is still playing. Insert a "note off" into a track to stop the sustain of a note you've started above.
kekie

Re: Partial sustain ?

Post by kekie »

I didn't know about 'note off' - that did the trick, thanks!

For posterity: press the ` key when you have the line you want the note to end on selected. This will insert a not off and end the note.