Site Admin

Re: SunVox 1.9.3 BETA2

Post by NightRadio »

... and another update 4 nov 2017 20:08 (GMT+5) :oops:
SunVox 1.9.3 BETA2
aboulafia

Post by aboulafia »

Hi there ! I'm currently trying the new 1.9.3B2 version which seems very stable on MACOS. Great work !
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but when a module (here one generator) is clicked AND have "MIDI IN ALWAYS" I got some weird sound layering. The incoming MIDI is played but I get infinite sound looping (like long sustained notes) on top of the played notes. I have to click outside and deselect the module, then after few seconds everything come back to normal...

Any idea ?
Newk

Post by Newk »

aboulafia: That sounds very much like a MIDI-data feedback-loop ...so the midi-out comes back into the same midi channel triggering the exact note again going out so it keeps building up untill you break the chain somewhere before that it could get so awfully heavy that it brings your system to it's knees.
Double-check how midi is routed in Sunvox, the OS and external devices. Draw a little map on paper if you find it hard to visualize it in your head.. helped me lots of times figuring out routings.
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but when a module (here one generator) is clicked AND have "MIDI IN ALWAYS" I got some weird sound layering. The incoming MIDI is played but I get infinite sound looping (like long sustained notes) on top of the played notes. I have to click outside and deselect the module, then after few seconds everything come back to normal...
Please send me your project file
aboulafia

Post by aboulafia »

Newk wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:00 am aboulafia: That sounds very much like a MIDI-data feedback-loop ...so the midi-out comes back into the same midi channel triggering the exact note again going out so it keeps building up untill you break the chain somewhere before that it could get so awfully heavy that it brings your system to it's knees.
Double-check how midi is routed in Sunvox, the OS and external devices. Draw a little map on paper if you find it hard to visualize it in your head.. helped me lots of times figuring out routings.
Seems that everything is fine, midi notes are sent by Ableton Live through a macos virtual midi bus, on Live side the midi track is set to "NO INPUT".
On SunVox side, the modules are "MIDI ALWAYS" and "CHANNEL MIDI ANY NONE" - I don't see how a midi loop could happen...
NightRadio wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:15 pm Please send me your project file
Here it is !
Attachments
2017-11-04 17-43.sunvox
(9.67 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
aboulafia

Post by aboulafia »

Just tried using SunVox midi port from Live (instead of osx virtual midi), and I got the same problem...
jph_wacheski

Post by jph_wacheski »

Wowzers this is a massive update,. thanks so much!

I get some crashes when working with samples,. I did in the last version as well running on win10.
I will see If I can narrow down what action cause it,. probably just me doing odd things,. .

The new sampler envelope effects are very cool indeed,.
although it is probably a tad strange for new users as it is a bit cryptic interface wise.
However once you wrap your head around this, it is just lovely!

Perhaps the sampler Edit Window default size could be added to Preferences? also when you close it, it remembers Width but not Height?
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

I will see If I can narrow down what action cause it,. probably just me doing odd things,. .
Yes please. I want to fix all the biggest bugs in this version :)
Perhaps the sampler Edit Window default size could be added to Preferences? also when you close it, it remembers Width but not Height?
I will try to fix this too
cube48

Post by cube48 »

Big thanks for awesome update!

Multi-channel MIDI IN is huge and working fine here so far. I have a little feature request related to it. Would it be possible add an option to set MIDI channel as "Inherit from parent" in module parameter MIDI channel mapping? So that it takes over MIDI channel set on its host/parent module MIDI IN? Thanks for consideration!
Attachments
sunvox_midi_chan.png
sunvox_midi_chan.png (54.57 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Would it be possible add an option to set MIDI channel as "Inherit from parent" in module parameter MIDI channel mapping?
Do you mean the situation when you manually configure the MIDI message? Not midi learn (message capture)?
cube48

Post by cube48 »

^ Yes, when setting the MIDI message channel and type manually.

This would ease creation of multi-timbral and MPE setups a lot. Thank you!
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Yes, when setting the MIDI message channel and type manually.
Ok! :)
cube48

Post by cube48 »

Awesome! And when I'm further thinking about it ... module could inherit MIDI IN channels from it's parent too ... i.e. when nested in MetaModule. Not sure about wider implications of this though. Just a thought ;-)
NightRadio
Site Admin

Post by NightRadio »

Just tried using SunVox midi port from Live (instead of osx virtual midi), and I got the same problem...
To aboulafia:
sorry, but i can't reproduce your bug on my Mac with the latest SunVox and Ableton Live 9.
It would be great if you could record the video, where i can see everything in detail (may be some specific configuration or something else)
Thank you!