New project "The Complete Guide to SunVox"

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
Koekepan

Re: New project "The Complete Guide to SunVox"

Post by Koekepan »

Changing controller values

Every module except for the Output module has some controllers. These controllers have a number of functions depending on the type of module. Some alter the synthesis of sound, some change effects - there are many purposes for these controllers, and if you want the details on each one, check the reference section of this book.

To the left of the module pane is the control pane. In here you can see the controls for whichever module you have selected. With a few exceptions, these controls appear as sliders. You can tap on them with a finger and drag them back and forth, or click and drag with a mouse.

If you want to, you can also right click on the controls or double tap, and open the Controller properties window, in which you can either move a slider for the controller value, or type one in directly.
purelygrey

Post by purelygrey »

You're doing a great job guys, keep it up! Will try to contribute some valuable info through GitHub
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

Adding Controller Changes to Patterns

You already know that you can change controllers on Sunvox modules.

The question is: can you write those changes into patterns so that the changes happen during playback of a song?

Yes, this is possible. Here is how:

The first option is to put sunvox into record mode, and while it records, just change the controllers that you want to change. Sunvox will record your changes into a new pattern.

The second option is to open the Controller properties window, set the value to what you want, and then use the Write to pattern button. The value that you selected will then be written as a command into the active pattern where your cursor was.

When you play back the song, that change in the controller value will take effect at that point in the song.

If you know the syntax, you can even type the value into the pattern directly, but you don't have to when the Controller properties window will do it for you.
The Handle

Post by The Handle »

I would highly suggest a section dedicated entirely to messing with the FM, as new users tend to be intimidated by it.
SawZer

Post by SawZer »

The Handle wrote:I would highly suggest a section dedicated entirely to messing with the FM, as new users tend to be intimidated by it.
Smashing idea! I would like to give this a go, after finals end this week. I've not only gotten very familiar with the FM module, but have also learned how to construct custom monophonic FM metamodules with > 2 operators, and other waveforms than sine.
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

Recording Patterns from Note Input

Sometimes you do not want to directly edit in every note. You know what you want to play, and how to get it in there, and you just want to record it into a pattern. Fortunately, this is easy in Sunvox.

At the bottom of your screen, make sure that you can see the timeline pane. Then click or tap to get the play head approximately where you want to start recording. I like to start a few seconds ahead. Also, make sure that you have selected the module for which you want to add more sound.

Then go up to the transport controls, under the virtual keyboard, and hit record. Sunvox will play back what you already have, and you can start to play new notes. Sunvox will create a new pattern that incorporates your additional notes.

Once you have finished, hit the stop button in the transport controls. You should see your new pattern in the timeline. Go back to play it, and you should hear your new notes. If you want to tweak what you did, simply edit the pattern directly as you would any other pattern.
queries

Post by queries »

Koekepan, thank you for continuing to submit chapter drafts. I should have some time later today to get them into the book.

Sawzer, I was wondering if you were busy with something since I haven't seen much activity from you lately :-) Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

I'm going to try to get some screenshots and short GIFS inserted into the existing chapters this week.
Severak

Post by Severak »

I have two points to this guide:

* link readerr to video tutorial. In case of SunVox they are really useful because of mouse-driven interface of this software.
* making instruments from scratch is somewhat complicated for beginners, navigate them to use Load instrument function.
queries

Post by queries »

Thanks for sharing your feedback Severak!

I have two responses to the first point:

* Making this book very audio/visual rich is one of my goals. Along with the automatic rendering of sunvox sound clips, over time it will contain more and more graphics including animated GIFs. Example: https://sunvox-guide.readthedocs.io/en/ ... theme.html

* If someone would like to compile a list of video tutorials for inclusion in the book, that would be fantastic. I think what would be useful is some further information about each video, such as the topics discussed in each video, and skill level needed to follow along. We can put them at this page or in their own page: https://sunvox-guide.readthedocs.io/en/ ... urces.html

On your second point, that is a really good suggestion... and indeed one of the great things about SunVox is the inclusion of many examples and free instruments. I've made a note to carve out some additions to the "getting started" and "beginner techniques" parts to cover these, and over time someone will author the text for them.
Koekepan

Post by Koekepan »

Introduction to Hex Notation

Hex notation is just another way of writing numbers.

In normal decimal notation (what you're probably used to) you have:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

In hexadecimal (or hex, for short) this becomes:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f 10 11 12 13 14

The way this works is that instead of running from 0 through 9, digits run from 0 through 15. However, since we don't have digits for 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15, we use letters. So, a means 10, b means 11 and so on.

This change also extends to the positions of digits. In regular decimal notation, if you have two digits the first one counts tens. If you have three digits, the first one counts hundreds, the second counts tens and so on. In hexadecimal, you don't need a special position to count tens, because you can simply write a and have a ten. Instead, you have a digit that counts sixteens. The next digit up from that counts two hundred and fifty-sixes.

This is why 14 in hexadecimal corresponds to 20 in decimal. 1 times sixteen, plus 4 times one is twenty.

People largely use hex notation in tracking software for historic reasons, but it does happen to fit well with the quarter note breakdown typical of music. All it takes is understanding, then practice and it will be second nature.
Kulak

Post by Kulak »

Bumpin this thread. I'm a total rookie an I need this :D If there is anything I can do to contribute, I'm down. I'll write very basic descriptions wherever I can in TBW sections. I'm a good writer. If I know what I'm talking about, I can give both the nerdy and plain english description of a concept.
Kulak

Post by Kulak »

Installing Sunvox

(copy/paste from user manual)

look guys, I'm helping! :Yahoo!:
queries

Post by queries »

Haha good one. :-)

I have been very busy in my personal and work life lately, but maintaining this project is still on my radar.

Also, kidding aside, I don't mind copying and pasting from the SunVox manual. Just as long as we clearly attribute the source and author, and keep it updated.
Elfferich

Post by Elfferich »

Finally someone who took the initiative to make a manual that makes sense for beginners. I was planning to make something similar but now I see this I don't have to make my own. Excellent job Queries! I saw this manual before but I wasn't sure if it'd get finished by you and the community. Happy to see the progress. By the way, maybe add some advanced examples like how to split the mid and the side of audio and things like that to make users aware how powerful sunvox really is.