How to sync Sunvox with another DAW?

Multi-platform modular music creation studio
yul

How to sync Sunvox with another DAW?

Post by yul »

Hello, forgive me I am not sure if this is the right place. I would like to use Sunvox in parralel with my friends DAW. I am not sure if there is a way to sync either transport or midi in some way share or form. If anyone would have suggestions it would be appreciated. Many thanks!
queries

Re: How to sync Sunvox with another DAW?

Post by queries »

This is something I'm keenly interested in as well! Here are my findings so far:

You can reliably sync start/stop events with the latest SunVox beta. See Pavel Ti's recent YouTube videos for an example.

However there is no MIDI clock in/out support yet.

You can hack together a clock out using SunVox MIDI note or CC out and a separate app that converts those messages to clock messages. Let me know if you're interested in that and I'll post a HOWTO sooner rather than later.

(I'm also making a live coding tool for SunVox DLL that will have native MIDI clock out)

As far as following an external clock, that's a little tougher. You can't do it inside SunVox itself, and using custom app with the DLL you could do it but there would be limitations. I'm scheming ways to make that a reality though. :)
yul

Post by yul »

Thanks a lot! I will look into the info. Would you say that syncing start/stop will introduce a lot of latency ?
queries

Post by queries »

Start/stop doesn't appear to introduce much latency on its own since it's they're MIDI commands that are just sent once. When it comes to bridging across computers and hardware synths though, it all depends of course on specific hardware, MIDI cable length, audio app buffer settings, etc.

Here's the demo video I was referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMebLgDd-Uo